Thursday, April 30, 2009

On Organ Donation and Quitting Smoking

When I die I plan on being an organ donor. I decided this when I was about 10, and since I've had a license I've always been quick to sign my donor card every year. It's not like I can take this physical body with me when I go, so why not give someone else the chance at life, or at least at a longer life?

Weird though, I always wrote on my card that they could harvest anything except my eyes. I have no idea why that is, but for some reason the idea of someone cutting my eyeballs out really freaked me out. However, once my mom explained to me that they actually transplant the cornea (they leave your eyes in your head), and that they can help blind people to see?!?!? I changed my mind - quickly. Can you imagine?

Besides, I plan on being cremated, so why not take out the good stuff before I go up in flames?

One of the local radio stations is holding their annual Sick Kids pledge drive, raising money for equipment for the hospital and that kind of stuff. Of course, the stories they're telling over the air are the most heartbreaking, tear-jerking stories you've ever heard, and it's hard for me not to pull over, call, and donate our rent money on the spot.

So as I'm driving, listening and crying (of course) I decide that I need to donate. I mean you never know when something horrific like that is going to strike, or who it's going to strike.

Then this mom comes on, talking about her 6 year old son having to get a bone marrow transplant, after fighting off cancer, and having tumors removed from his head. She tells about her gallant little boy, and how after him fighting for 5 years, he died. But that it was all the nurses and doctors on the paediatric ward that made every day with him in the hospital bearable.

And then, my thoughts bounced over to smokers. Don't ask me how I got there, my brain works in crazy ways. I think it all tied in to the transplant part, but I'm not entirely sure...

ANYways, so I started thinking about how of course, anything Ellery might ever need from me, I would give her. And about how I was so glad I had quit smoking, so that if she should ever need part of my lung for a transplant, mine would be healthy. And then I started thinking, wouldn't that be a great ad campaign for parents to quit smoking? I mean really! What kind of crap would you feel like, knowing you were a match for your sick child, but that you couldn't donate a lobe of your lung because you had been sucking back nicotine for 15 years? You'd feel like total shit, and probably never forgive yourself.

So yeah, I need to scrounge up some cash and donate. Or better yet, I need to save up over the year, and make a considerable donation next year. Thoughts? Are you going to be an organ donor?


*Sorry for this being such a spastic post - I just feel very strongly about these things, and get a bit wild with my thought process...or lack thereof.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

That was a great post!

I would happily donate any bits that are useful. Mrs RC has a thing about the eyes too, so that might be ruled out.

We have a great anti smoking campaign going over here at the moment. A little kid saying things like "I'm not scared of Wyne. I'm not scared of Tyson the Rottewieller." etc. It ends with "But I am scared that my mom will die."

Loads of the local (smoking) parents are moaning that their kids are nagging at them to give up!

I like your idea too, I am sure it would catch a good percentage of parents, although not all, sadly!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

funny you mentioned this... i gave blood this week and sat down with the sponsor for organ donors to discuss some things.. i think im gonna do it.

9:24 AM  
Blogger terri said...

I've always planned to donate anything they can use. I won't need it when I'm gone anyway.

I always have that same feeling when listening to those pledge drives. That's a good idea, to save over the year and send a big donation next year. I think I might do that.

8:45 PM  
Blogger James said...

just have them make sure you have definitely popped your clogs before they take anything!!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

This year I finally signed up as an organ donor. I told my mom that if anything should happen to be they can take EVERYTHING except my skin.

3:09 AM  
Anonymous zack said...

great post! I want to only donate my toes. (to help people balance) - hehe - just kidding, I am also an organ donor - well not yet, but I've also signed my little card from the health insurance place....

but anyway, great post - and yeah - that would make a good campaign!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home