Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Happy Birthday...To Me? Maybe? Possibly? Husband? Are You Reading This?

I love my family. I really do. And by family I'm referring to my husband and daughter. I love the rest too - but this really isn't about them, since we don't live together.

Some of you may remember me mentioning a time or two - okay, who am I kidding...I mention it every second day - that my husband snores. But he does. Incessantly.

And my daughter, who is generally a pretty good sleeper, does wake up a few times a night. She usually just requires someone to locate her soother, and goes right back to sleep, but still - as anyone who is a crappy sleeper knows, waking up for any reason is still disruptive.

But every month or so, she seems to be having some sort of night terrors. Waking up scared out of her wits, and screaming bloody murder like the devil himself is after her. And then she doesn't want to be left alone in her room - and if she does fall asleep, she wakes up every 20 minutes, and we do the whole dance all over again. Once she's woken up like that one night, it takes about 3 more to get her back on track.

Essentially what I'm trying to get at here, is that I need sleep. Between the husband snoring, and the baby waking up, I am seriously lacking in the slumber department. While thinking about it the other day, I realized that I haven't had a full night's sleep since before I was pregnant, which is going on two years now. That is one long ass time not to sleep through the night.

A while ago I started joking with the husband that maybe I should get a hotel room one night, just so that I can sleep - he didn't seem as excited about the idea as I was.

But I have to admit, the more I think about it, the more appealing it sounds. I just want a nice big bed, perhaps a jacuzzi tub (which I would totally be willing to forgo), and a night all to myself, where I don't have to worry about anyone but me. Just to be able to snuggle down in those comfy blankets, with just my face peeking out, and to go to bed at about 8pm after a nice long, hot bath, and sleep till 8 the next morning. Ooooooooh, heaven.

Please, no one be jealous of my mad Photoshop skills. You too, can learn how to create the illusion of a luxurious pillow behind your head. After years and years of practice.
Also - I don't know what's up with my hair-do in this picture. It seems that the luxurious pillow has decided to give me a pixie cut. Perhaps the pillow is on to something...

7 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

My wife used to go sleepless a lot when we had babies. She breast fed all of them for a long time, so I couldn't really do much in the way of helping out at night (except for changing poopy nappies of course).

When our younger daughter was a baby Clare got so tired that she started halucinating! That is TIRED!

Hope you get some sleep soon!

And yeah, the pixie look does work for you!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I was about to mention the same solution.

Nice hotel....hot bath....king bed with high count cotton sheets...perfect room temperature and "do not disturb" on the door.

Followed by an AM leasurely breakfast in bed.

Perhaps a spa treatment somewhere in there?

4:52 AM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

I was wondering if you had gotten a hair cut since Sunday.
And FYI- when I had my sleep over with K at the Fairmont last year- she said it was the best sleep she's had in YEARS. Even pre-baby.
So, I highly recommend the hotel bit.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

i'd say do it.. theres notthing wrong with it.

When one of us is sick, or just needs to get a really good night sleep, i always sleep in our guest room so we both sleep better... poeple get too hung up on things like that but who cares? We sleep apart at least once a week...

2:00 PM  
Blogger terri said...

I know people who have done this. You so deserve this. Don't even second guess yourself.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Aww Ali....maybe he needs a CPAP machine ? my Dh had one...was like sleeeping with Darth Vader...LOL no no no...only kidding....

Buy a book on kids and sleeping. There are some great books out there. I even rang a sleep clinic for my DD when she was 8 months old.....a blog I read ( Mrs Negative) on my link, also used a sleep clinic. You can read about her tales of sleep and her 1 year old....very interesting and now cured...

Sleep when Miss E does even if it's during the day,lack of sleep is one of the worst things ...xoxoxox

9:28 PM  
Blogger James said...

I hate to break it to you but you NEVER sleep the same once you have a baby. I think we did warn you like two years ago....but, nobody listens, they think THEIR parenthood will be different..

Yeah definitely do the hotel thing and pamper yourself when you need it

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home