Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Gimme Gimme Always Gets

At least, when it comes to me standing at a till it does.

*sigh*

The season has started (not that I think it ever truly goes away) when every store I go into has some cause they are raising money for. You know the scenario....you go up to pay, are there minding your business, debit card in hand, cell phone buzzing in your pocket, applying lip balm while you listen to the cashier ask you if you found everything you were looking for, and then they drop the bomb: Would you care to make a donation to the Canadian Cancer Society/ Easter Seals/ Arthritis Society/ Alzheimer's Fund/ Connie's Bachelorette Party/ Help Kevin Pay For the Dermatologist Fund?

Or, my favourite, any kind of Literacy Fund, which I can never, ever say no to.

The truth is, I want to help everyone, and I do. I always say sure, donate 2 bucks, 3 bucks, 5 bucks, whatever - because I think all of those causes deserve the cash. Except maybe Connie - I don't really give a shit about her bachelorette extravaganza.

I always feel compelled to donate. Always. Once, last summer, I said "Um, not today," and I felt so guilty about it that I think I gave 10 bucks the next time I went. And I felt like everyone from the cashier to the 5 people in line behind me were thinking about what a horrid person I was for saying no.

But you know what? Other people say no all the time!!!! I don't know how they do it - it boggles my mind. Does anyone else have this dilemma? I find that if I say no to some and yes to others, I'm playing favourites, when really, the cancer cause is just as important as the Alzheimer's one.

Ah well, unless you're Connie, you can be sure I'll be ponying up at the till for your cause.

6 Comments:

Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I say no unless it's Girl Scout cookies.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always say no. Now you've got me feeling guilty!! LOL!! I set aside how much I am going to give to what cause each year and that's how I do it.

You're such a softy Ali! I love it!!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger terri said...

I always say no. My theory is that we decide ahead of time what our charities will be for the year. If I gave to every cause that called me on the phone or had a display at the register, I'd go broke.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

We don't get that over here. We do have people with collection tins asking for donations (I usually give if I have the cash in my pocket). We also have people who stand in the street asking for regular donations for the charity of the week, expecting you to give out your bank details right there and then - no way! First I am not going to give my details like that anyway, and secondly these people work for a company that takes commission from the donations. If I want to give money to a charity I will do it directly, I won't add yet another layer of top-slicing!

I'll stop ranting now...

3:14 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

I just pick one charity a year, and I tell the others sorry, I have donated to the " Pick your charity" already...
It goes down pretty well....least so far !

3:43 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I say yes. I figure nothing in my life will change if I do. I am always wanting to give to causes that help feed the hungry. Espeically kids. I can't imagine not having food to eat!!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home