Monday, April 27, 2009

What Do You Get Your Hero When He Retires?

This coming weekend we'll be heading to the homeland for a party. Not just any party, but my dad's retirement party from CN Railway. He made his final trip on Friday, and now never has to sit by the phone and wait for them to call ever again. He's ecstatic, as am I, since now when I go home, he'll always be there. No more hoping to see him a couple hours one day because he's getting called, or because he has to go to bed because he's been up for 42 hours.

Freedom 54. Can you imagine? I'm looking more along the lines of Freedom 70 for myself.

So, now what to get him? He doesn't want me to get him anything (don't parents always say that?), and I have no idea what I'd even buy! I mean, he's got every power tool known to man, he's not into music (beyond Cat Stevens and the occasional oldies mix I make for him), he doesn't golf, hunts only on occasion, fishes about the same amount as hunting...the guy just doesn't have a lot of hobbies, since he's never had time for them before.

But I feel that for such a monumental occasion, I should give him something. Ideas? Anyone?

5 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

A train set? Even just a small one for a giggle?

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ookami Snow said...

An outdoor chair so that can sit on the porch and tell kids to get off his lawn?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

My dad worked for Canadian Pacific Railway all of his adult life (ironically enough, here in the States).

Unfortunately, he died at 56, before he was able to retire. That would have been last year. My mum is getting his pension plan now.

I would recommend giving him the biggest hug you you've ever given him, and telling him exactly how much he means to you.

Give him something from the heart, is I guess what I'm getting at. Both of you will treasure it always.

:-)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

id say just you being there will be a present enough...

8:45 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

How about a scrap book of photos and memories of his working life.
You could add little bits and have his co workers write him a message and paste it in !

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home