Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Do dee do dee do

I've been sort of M.I.A. lately, sorry about that gang.

Last Friday we took Ellery for her 4 month check-up (which was actually closer to 4.5 months, but whatever), and it wasn't exactly a fun visit. She had to get two vaccinations, and then when we had her measurements done, she was quite a bit under for where she should be for weight.
She's right on for her skill level, height, head circumference and all that jazz, but the poor little thing was only 10 pounds, 9 ounces - and considering she's almost 5 months, and that some babies are born that weight, the doctor decided we had to do something about it.
So...enter formula and the bottle. And forget about breastfeeding. That was pretty traumatizing for both her and I, so this weekend was spent coaxing her to take the bottle (she cried when I wouldn't feed her, I felt so bad), pumping her full of Tylenol since she was fevering from her vaccinations and teething up a storm.

And then with all that, we had already made plans for my mom to come into the city on Friday night so that the husband and I could have a date - so I didn't want to cancel on her when she had driven 3 hours to be there for us. So, we went out, and had a great time, but apparently Ellery cried right up until she went to bed - my poor girl.

This weekend we tried to get out as much as we could, because she loves being in the Snugli, so we ended up going out to the St. Norbert market (a huge market just outside Winnipeg with fresh produce, and chickens, and jewellery, and crafts - all handmade in Manitoba), then on Sunday we went to the zoo. Considering what a hard weekend it was for her, Ellery handled it like a champ.
A white black bear.

A black bear.

A cute monkey...I don't remember which kind.

And E giggling at me as I was doing this sort of shimmy shake dance for her while we walked around the zoo.

Oh, and she is now taking the bottle without a fuss (Hallelujah!) and already looks a teeny bit chubby.

Yesterday I left her with the husband for the entire day, and I went out and spent 7 glorious hours all by myself. I went and did a little shopping, but spent most of the day at the beach - where it was chilly, and nearly deserted - but I took tons of pictures, and walked forever, and had an absolutely amazing day.
There were leaves all over the beach, and I loved the way they left their imprints in the sand.

I love the beach.

A mossy bench along the trail through the woods.

Tomorrow husband heads back to work after nearly two weeks off, so Ellery and I will have to get used to basically being alone again for most of the time. It's been great having him home, and a little weird, and a bit of a pain in the ass :) but mostly great.

Sorry I don't have any more exciting news for you, I've just been living life.


AGH! And gross! I just realized that I somehow switched my camera settings to take the shittiest quality pictures!!! Damn it! Oh frickity...now I'm grumpy...boo...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Pictures! - a day at the beach sounds like a good day to me!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

Loved the pictures of the bears. Hope E picks up weight soon. It's a shame that you had to stop breastfeeding her.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

She's such a doll. For what it's worth Stumpy was just the same...very very tiny for a long long time...sometimes it's just the way they are...infact his still a little dumpy bum...but hey he is getting heaps of wear out of his clothes LMAO...xoxo

3:01 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Don't feel bad about having to give up the feeding. She will have had all of the benefits by now, so I guess it is time to start fattening her up for Christmas, as we say :-)

Good to see you back!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

That was a squirrel monkey. They are dumb as shit but cute. I used to take care of a bunch of monkeys.

5:16 AM  
Blogger terri said...

Poor Ellery. Those damn shots are so traumatic. Good thing we consider them to be pretty necessary. It's good to hear she took to the bottle fairly quickly. Mommy guilt is the WORST!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

You changed your picture again.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Zack - thanks! And yep, the beach rocks :)

Sid - I know, but I swear, she's already a little chubby, lol.

SIS - Dumpy bum? LOL - that's too cute! And I know, E is just starting to fit half of the 3 month outfits!

Rock Chef - I think she'll be fattened up in a month to tell you the truth :)

Wreggie - :) You still do! They just have 4 legs now...and yep, changed the picture a couple weeks ago, but I don't particularly love it, so it may change again.

Terri - Yeah, she takes them so well! But I can't help but feel the guilt...

7:47 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

just a word of advice.... dont go to crazy obsessing on those baby percentile chart things...

height 94 percentile
weight 60 percentile
head size 98 percentile.

blah blah blah...

it means so little.. each child develops differently..

7:01 PM  
Blogger tz said...

the pictures were beautiful! and ellery is such a little cutie!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

My first time here so I can't comment too much but your blog makes a nice read :)

Any chance of seeing a video of the shimmy dance thing? Ha.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Ali Kat said...

Ali, I haven't been keeping up with your blog, and feel totally out of the loop. Ellery is beautiful and a gorgeous name. Such a pretty smile. I'm so sorry you had to stop breast feeding, I hope you talked to lots of people beforehand. Hope you're not too bummed about it, 'cause there are so many ways to get you milk supply up. Wish I would have caught this info sooner :( Hope things are going good. Are you at home? Do you have extra time or are you pretty busy with life? If you're free and want to chat (or get together) just get my number from Zig :D

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home