Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I've Got a Bone to Pick, So To Speak...

As some of you who have been around since the beginning of this blog know - I'm a meat eater. That became glaringly clear the first time I was pregnant. Remember I was posting every day about having dreams of steak, thinking I could eat about half a cow myself, and then even posting pictures of my plate with steak on it? Yeah. So the point here is that I am a carnivore.

I know that some people out there are vegetarians, vegans, and I'm sure loads of other things that avoid certain "foods" for one reason or another. To all those people, good for you. I applaud you in your choices of not eating what you do (or don't, I guess).

I also respect you in your decisions, and though I would never try to convert you to eating meat, I may ask why you have chosen not to eat it, just out of my own curiosity. I would also expect the same respect from you.

Now, on with my bone (hehe)...

I know several people who are vegetarians, and in fact one of them is a member of my own family. She and her boyfriend have decided to be vegetarians because meat "grosses them out". Whatever, no problem. They have been claiming this for, oh I don't know, 5 years now? And they have been eating meat for, oh I don't know, that same 5 years?

It seems they are only vegetarian when it suits them.

For instance, if we're at my inlaws having a steak dinner, they'll make a big commotion about having to eat meat (like the rest of us are standing there forcing it down their throats). They'll cut into a steak and talk about all the blood that's running all over the plate, and now it's touching their salad, and eew, it's all over their potatoes. So what do they do? They microwave their steaks to cook them a bit more. And then they eat them. Yes, apparently microwaving a piece of cow turns it into a plant or something.

And then if we go out for dinner as a family, we have to eat in these weird places that offer seaweed "bratwurst", and thistle "lamb chops" because they don't want to be faced with a menu of all meat. I think unless you're going to Bob's Bloody Slaughter for dinner I'm pretty sure you can find a couple of vegetarian meals on most menus, but maybe I'm just being daft.

But then, they'll be with us in the car and we'll swing through the McDonald's drive-thru and they're yelling "Get me a quarter pounder with cheese and a coke!" And, I'm sorry, but if a quarter pounder doesn't make you a meat eater, then I don't know what the hell does.

In the past month or so they've started calling themselves vegans, which as far as I can tell, are people that do not use or consume animal products of any kind. I find this funny, since just a few weeks ago we brought them about 3 dozen eggs from a farm in Ontario.

Sadly, more than one of the un-carnivores I know are like this.

Anyways, the whole point of this post was just to say: If you're going to be a vegetarian, vegan, fruitarian - then own it! Don't be those things because you think they make you cool, be them because it's what you believe in! And don't gag at me when I cut into my filet mignon!

7 Comments:

Blogger terri said...

You make some great points! I don't actually know any true vegetarians or vegans. Here in the upper-midwest, I guess we like our meat too much. I love a nice juicy steak and give me lots of sauteed mushrooms to eat along with it.

I actually don't know how vegetarians do it. I feel like something is missing if there's not a hunk of meat included in my meal.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

England is alive with vegans and vegetarians, but most of them seem to stick with it OK. The problem is the ones that think they are on some sort of crusade and try to persuade YOU to join them. Yeah, right!

I also do not think that it is right to bring up children as vegans - they never seem to be health.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Amen Sista!! Couldn't agree more!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

would you think less of me if i told you that, after reading the title, i thought this was going to be a sex post?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Terri - I know, mmm meat :)

Rock Chef - See? You know exactly what I mean! Go ahead and be a vegan, but leave me out of it!

Teresa - Thanks!

Slyde - Why else do you think I wrote it that way? I figured you of all people would take interest in that ;)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

They are so not vegetarians...what a crock of crap....

What ever floats their boat right ?

xox

9:50 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

Man people like that annoy me. If you believe in something then you should have enough convinctions to stick to it. I'd like to become a vegetarian. There are many good reasons to become one BUT I love the taste of meat.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home