Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dear Ellery,


My beautiful baby girl, today is your 4 month birthday. It's hard to believe that you've already been with us that long, because in a way it seems like just yesterday we were sharing our "apartment" in my belly. But then again it seems like you've always been here, because we can't remember life without you.

Every day you amaze me with how much you grow and learn, and every day I thank whoever is up there for giving me the most precious gift I'll ever receive.

People often comment about how bright you are, since you're always very attentive and curious about your surroundings. I usually chock that up to nosiness, but bright sounds so much better :) Many people also tell me that they think you look like an old soul, much older than your 4 months. I have to agree with them in that respect, because to me you seem like someone I've known all my life, a wise little creature.

Your personality is a near perfect blend of daddy and myself. You can be calm and observant as he often is, but you are often wild and noisy, and the center of attention, how I tend to be. In recent weeks you've begun to use your hands in a very purposeful way, no longer waving them in the general direction of what you want, but instead reaching out and grabbing it directly.

You love to shriek, and do so often. You'll also play favourites, but it seems, to whoever isn't holding you. If you're on daddy's lap, you'll coo and squeal at me from across the room, flashing that 100-watt smile my way until I come scoop you up and tell you I love you. But no sooner am I holding you, do you turn your affections to him instead. You've got us both wrapped around your itty bitty fingers, and I fear that will mean trouble in the future.

At this point you are still a tiny little thing. You're only tipping the scales at about 10 pounds these days, and I haven't packed up many things you've grown out of yet. It's just now that you are starting to fit most of your 0 to 3 month clothes, and nearly every pair of pants you have has to be folded and pinned at the back in order to stay up. You are far from the chubby babies that daddy and I were.

Every morning when I walk in your room, I watch your face light up when you hear my voice saying your name, and my heart melts. One of my favourite things to do is to take you into bed with us late in the morning, and play with you while you shriek and roll around, and blow raspberries, and pull the blankets over your head. I can't think of a better way to start each and every day.

You are my favourite and I'll love you forever.

Mommy

9 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

This post makes me want to cry (in a good way)
xoxo

9:45 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

ah...melts my heart! Motherhood agrees with you so much Ali!

10:23 PM  
Blogger James said...

That is a cute picture. Hope you are going to save all these blog posts to disc so that she can see them all when she grows up?

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

Happy birthday Ellery

12:22 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Aw, very sweet. And what an awesome gift to write something like that so she can read it when she's older.
Happy Birthday Ellery! I can't wait to see you again and get to see how much you've grown :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

This is, by far, the BEST post ever!

It makes me want to cry too (in a good way).
In fact, I want to go wake her up right now, just to give her a hug and a kiss!

You are a natural at this motherhood business.

10:28 PM  
Blogger So@24 said...

AHHH! Look at that lil princess.

Can I babysit? Please?

12:14 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

That was so sweet!

And looking at her pictures I can see what you mean about her being older than she is. Her eyes are amazing, and as you say, that smile!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Well of course she is bright...she takes after her Mumma....

Love the letter..xoxo

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home