Friday, September 29, 2006

What a Great Day

I had a wonderful day today. Got tons of stuff done at work, everyone was in a great mood, scored some brownie points with the president of one of the associations I deal with, the weather was nicer than it has been, went to the chiropractor after work and had a fabulous adjustment, the husband went to a football game and left me to relax...the list goes on and on.
One of the best things that happened today was that my boss bought me the bouquet of flowers in the picture. That's right - my boss bought me flowers.
As I've griped many-a-time before, the other editor where I work quit just over a month ago, and I have been the solo editor there since that time. There is supposed to be another one starting in January but until that time it's just 'lil ole me.
I've been feeling a little overwhelmed because the work load is unbelievable and I've been working 8 or 9 hours each day and then bringing work home almost every night - even on the weekends.
One of the things I worry about though is that although I'm working really hard - I still don't seem to be able to get enough done. Until the other editor starts I've been told to forgo some of the things I would normally do to make the designers lives (Zig in particular) easier. This sucks for the designers because they have to pick up the slack, and one of the other ladies in the office has to proof all the ads that come through so I feel like I'm kind of letting them down.
Everyone keeps assuring me that I'm doing a great job (I've only been there for 5 months) but I can't help but feel that way anyways.
Okay, back to the flowers. When I started at this place I thought my boss was very scary. She just gives you the vibe that makes you tremble a little when she yells your name or your phone rings and you see that it's her extension. But over the last few months I've come to like her very much (she's crazy like the rest of us that work there) and it seems that she likes me a lot as well.
So today after lunch I was sitting at my desk (my office is at the very end of the production office space) and I hear her come in and start yelling my name saying "Where's Ali? I need my Ali." So I yelled back that I was in my office and that I had missed her so much - I had seen her about a half hour before. She comes in carrying this huge floral arrangement of roses, daisies, lillies and carnations and a card.
At first I though it was from my husband but then she read me the card, it said "Ali, Thank you for all your hard work, it does not go unnoticed!" And it was signed with her name!
I almost freaked - who has ever heard of your boss giving you flowers for busting your hump!? Not me, that's for sure.
Anyways, it absolutely made my day and they are the most fragrant flowers I think I've ever smelled.
So that was a wonderful start to my weekend, I hope you all have a great one!

P.S. I'll be around this weekend so I should be posting. Oh, and I've put my email link up at the side, so if you wanna you can email me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Logzie said...

That is awesome!

I could tell you are a loyal, dedicated, hard worker just from your posts about when you were sick and still trying to pull your own weight! You deserve it girl!!!

Congratulations!!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

You are so sweet, thank you!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Amos said...

What a nice treat for you. Great job! If the world had more bosses who took the nice approach then we would sure get a lot more done. I love flowers, they make anyone feel better in an instant.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home