Monday, September 25, 2006

I'm Gross...But Happy Too!


So here I sit, still sick and feeling sorry for myself. At least the vomiting has stopped. Now I just feel like I've been hit by a truck.
I went in to work this morning for about a half hour just to drop some stuff off and check my messages and brought a bunch of work back with me.
Everyone told me just to come home and go back to bed but I brought the work home with me anyways. However, half the stuff I need to finish this work is still at the office and I do have copy-editing I could be doing but my brain is not working at full capacity (I'd same I'm at about 57% right now) so I know I would just miss any mistakes. There's no point in even trying because I'll have to re-do it anyways.
I've spent the day going back and forth between napping in my big comfy bed and laying curled up on the couch watching really bad tv. I don't really even want to go back to work tomorrow but the guilt will drive me crazy so I think I'm going to go anyways.
As I was downloading some Prince and checking out my daily blog reads I decided to check out the website of this magazine I've recently begun writing for. I was just trying to find out if the Fall issue has been published yet because that's the first one I've written for and I want to buy a couple copies. Lo and behold, the piece I wrote for them is up on the website! The husband is working nights so I'm here all by my gross self, so I read the whole thing and then (of course) started to cry - but just for a moment...and it was because I was happy. Then I called my mom and told her to check it out.
I remember when I lived in Alberta and was a reporter for a weekly newspaper - the first time I saw my byline I freaked right out, and the woman I had written the story on sent me flowers at the office because she was so happy with the article. Then the first time I was published in a small magazine I freaked out again. But this...this is a bigger magazine (not Time or People or anything, but big nonetheless) and I got to have my picture and a little bio in the mag and now it's on the internet!
That is just huge for the little world of Ali! These are the days when I'm glad I listened to my husband and my best friend (the Bahama Mama) when they told me to just keep sending out resumes and busting my ass and that one day it would happen. And it did! Yay!
This actually makes me feel a little better, I hope tomorrow will be a wonderful day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amos said...

How awesome for you! Makes feeling so yucky seem a little bit brighter. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Congratulations! Can you share the article or is it subscription only?

5:48 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Yah! Can we check out your article? Congratulations!!! Sorry to hear you are still feeling crappy!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you're not feelign well. Congrats on the article. Would love to read it.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home