Saturday, September 30, 2006

Welcome to the Family, Francois!

I have this habit of naming inanimate objects. My car's name is Bruce Eugene, the husband's car is named Biff, I have had plants (which are animate, I know) named Betty, Helen and Josie, and one at work named Jelly, we have a wooden crab from Cuba named Crabby, and the list goes on and on.
The husband and I have always given silly names to all of our fish and random objects around the house as well. We had a fish named Amy, one named Rupinder, one named Troy, and a Pocostamus (the algae eaters that clean the tank and rocks) named Sucks because that's all he did all day; suck.
Now I am not known as someone who has what you would call a "Green Thumb" - I run more along the lines of "Black Thumb" or "Kiss of Death" for all things vegetation wise. Try as I might, the only thing that I can keep alive is bamboo.
So about 5 months ago I bought a little ivy and thought I'd try my hand at it. It always seems like one of those plants that is just kind of "there" and that you don't really have to work at to keep alive.
The barren terra cotta pot above is what is left of that ivy. There is a little brown stub sticking out of the dirt that is all that remains of my beloved little plant. The thing is that I can't remember what I named it, so that was probably one of the reasons it gave up - I just wasn't giving it enough attention.
Today the husband and I had to run in to Walmart to pick up some essentials (coffee, t.p., sugar, etc) and I decided that we should buy a new ivy. (By the way, I don't recommend going to Walmart this weekend because it is their anniversary sale, thus brimming with crazy cart-wielding people and old cat-ladies with 300 tins of 17 cent cat food, thus causing the husband to almost stroke-out trying to get around people - patience is not one of his strong points.)
So as we were looking at all the little plants, the one in the picture below caught my eye and I knew that was the one we needed to get. While we were driving home I was holding it in my lap so it didn't get all smashed and die before I had the chance to murder it myself, and I called him Francois. Immediately the husband said that Francois was the perfect name, so now our new ivy is named.
Right now he's basking in the sun before I transfer him to his new pot and try my best to keep him alive. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Logzie said...

I can relate. It wasn't till this year that I have been sucessful with my outdoor flowers. I had a beautiful hanging basket that cost over $30 (I guess I was thinking for that price that it would take care of it's self...but nope!) But the good news is that I actually nurtured (sorry) it back to health-I mean this guy was G-O-N-E and I just gave it attention every single day and always picked out the dead peices and that baby came back to me!!! I was SO excited!

7:11 PM  
Blogger j.k.a said...

I name all my plants,....even use my scrapbooking stuff and make little nametags for them...hubby stopped keeping track around the tenth, but he still remembers enough to console me when one of them dies :)

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home