Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!!!!

Dear Ellery,

I can't believe a year has passed since you officially came into my life. It literally feels like yesterday that I was sitting at home on bed rest, praying, hoping, and doing a lot of crying, doing everything within my power to will you into the world so that I could finally hold you in my arms.

This past year has been by far the most amazing in my life, and I have you to thank for that.
Let's see - where to begin? It seems in the past month or two you've been growing and learning at warp speed. You now eat "big people" food, you can say a few words, you wave hello and good-bye, you crawl at least 10/mph, and will be walking on your own within two weeks, I have no doubt.

You've recently discovered temper tantrums, which I must say, are a bit amusing. You've definitely inherited that flair for the dramatics from me, so how can I fault you? And I know that right now, most of the shrieks are out of frustration of not being able to just tell us what you want, not because you're actually mad about anything.

A few days ago you started using this hilarious fake laugh when daddy or I are laughing. I think it's probably your way of trying to be included in the conversation, so now when you do it, we join you. It usually ends up with all three of us laughing huge belly laughs, because even you realize how funny it actually is.

Your love of books warms my heart. While most babies see their nighttime bottle and make a beeline for it, you are almost completely uninterested until I say "Ellery, is it time for books?" and then you make a mad dash for my legs, and wait impatiently for me to scoop you up. I'm glad that that's another thing you've picked up from me :)

Finally, FINALLY, you have also decided that maybe a snuggle once in a while isn't so bad. It's only been in the past month or so you've decided to let us hug you, but it was worth the wait. Now you love to come up on my lap, while we wrestle and I blow on your neck and tummy, and you giggle, and "hug" me by saying "Awwww" and pushing your forehead up against mine.

The way you grin with your two little teeth, the way you have to find the light in every room and point it out to me, listening to you "talk" to random objects, or to yourself in the mirror, are always the best parts of my day.

I love you more than anything in the world, and you have truly made my life complete.

Happy, Happy 1st Birthday to you, my babycakes!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

Happy Birthday E!

I can't believe it is a year now too! She sounds and looks so amazing, especially the book thing. A love of books is a great thing.

Awww.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I can now begin to see her parents in her face. A wonderful post Ali.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Ali Kat said...

What a sweet, sweet letter! If you're a scrap booker that's definitely a page for the book :) If I could write as well, I would have done one for my little monkey ;) She'll love to read it when she's older.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

i never thought you would stoop so low as to put a topless picture on this website.

the integrity of this site has been forever sullied with this smut. good day!

2:26 PM  
Blogger terri said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! Your letter pulled at my heartstrings. These are definitely days to remember.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Happy Birthday Miss E.....
I hope you had a wonderful day...

Beautiful letter Ali...xoxo

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home