Thursday, March 05, 2009

Stay or Go?

Since I moved out of my parents' house when I was 18, I've moved around quite a bit. Three different provinces, 3 different cities, 1 town, and 6 different actual residences. What can I say? I bore easily.

Anyways, one thing I have maintained since I was about 14 years old, was that I did not want to end up living in Winnipeg, Manitoba. So guess where I live? Yep, you guessed it. Winnipeg.

When we first decided to move here from Calgary it was for Chris to go to school. We decided we'd move here, he would go to school, graduate, and we'd either move back to Calgary, or somewhere else completely. Eight years later, we're still here.

It's not that there is anything wrong with Winnipeg, it's just that...I don't know, it's so close to home? This was the city where people from my hometown would all come for a weekend - to shop, go out, have an adventure - you know, everyone came here. So I decided that I wanted to live somewhere completely different, where not everyone I knew ended up.

Husband and I went through a phase where we wanted to live in Hawaii. One where we wanted to live back in North Bay, where I went to college. One where we wanted to live in Nassau, Bahamas, where Monica lives. And currently we're on an England kick. Which has even gone so far as both of us looking for jobs online - and holy smokes! Are there ever a lot of sweet jobs for editors and writers over there!

But us moving always comes down to family. We're both extremely close to our families, which is one of the few things that makes living in Winnipeg really great. And now that Ellery is here, I'm sure our parents would be pretty upset if we packed up and moved her away from them.

But therein lies my dilemma. If we stay here to be close to them, so they can watch her grow up, then we're not entirely happy. And then, once she's grown up, our parents are older, and are we going to want to be moving away then? When they might need us around, to help them out?

I realize this sounds extremely selfish, but if we stay it's almost as though we're living our lives for other people. I'm not sure what the right decision is...

3 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

I think you should visit England before moving - it might look all nice from afar but we have some serious problems going on here.

Not that I wouldn't totally love it if you did move over here...

10:09 AM  
Blogger terri said...

Oh, I know! I really, really, really want to move. The problem is exactly all of those things you mentioned. And on top of it all, my husband doesn't even want to leave this house, much less this city. And I've had some serious cabin fever going on for several years.

Sorry, I am no help.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Lifes short play hard....

No matter where you are in the world...your only a day a way ( Flying)....

We moved away when we were 18 and although I admit that the In laws do miss out on the kids at times..we send pictures, letter, e-mails and it has worked out great. Also they dont really hassle us about parenting issues etc as they are never here enough !....

What about Australia LOL ?...our local paper (The Bulletin) has a ripper of an editor that would love a shake up LOL...

And your only a day 3/4 of a day away from the States LOL.. xoxox

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home