Friday, February 06, 2009

You Know What's Dumb?

Dumb is medicine cabinets being in people's washrooms.

I mean, if you really think about it - which I have, and yes, I admit this makes me a weird thinker - a washroom is pretty much the worst place you could store medication.

For instance, Ellery's baby tylenol says: Store at 15 - 30 degrees Celsius.
Husband has Nasonex for his nose, which says: Store at 2 - 25 degrees Celsius. Keep away from bright light.
And the iron tablets I have (which aren't even actually a medicine) say: Keep at room temperature in dark dry place.

Now, maybe it's just my bathroom, but I would think that would be the least consistent room for temperature and light.

During the night it's cool and dark - ideal for medication storing purposes. But during the day? The heat gets cranked whenever one of us is having a shower, or Ellery needs a bath. The lights in there are very bright, giving off a lot of heat of their own - and they're also located directly above the mirrors, which double as our medicine cabinet. Every time the shower is on there is crazy condensation and humidity in there. Factors like changing temperatures can actually affect the effects of medication!

All in all, it's a pretty awful choice for storage of medicine.

I now keep all my medication either in my bedroom, or in a dark cabinet in my kitchen, away from the stove, fridge and dishwasher, to avoid the heat.

And that is all for this public service announcement.


Happy Friday, and happy weekend relocation of all your meds!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

What's really dumb is people who don't realise that a guitar hook box doesn't actually contain a guitar hook!

We keep our meds in a box in our food cupboard, which is always nice and cool.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Rock Chef - Awwww, I am so SO sorry about the mix up :(

11:20 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

You need a wine cooler to store your stuff.

I hate when all the crap in your cabinet falls out when you open the door.

3:02 PM  
Blogger terri said...

I have a shelf in a kitchen cupboard dedicated to medications. It stems from my daycare days when licensing required that no meds be stored in the bathroom.

And my leftover Vicodin is in the linen closet in my bathroom (for emergency purposes. Emergency "I need to knock myself out" purposes.)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

we keep our meds in the food cupboard as well...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Ali Kat said...

I've always keep our meds in the kitchen, I guess it's how you grow up. Like, our kitchen garbage is under the sink on the left because my mom is left handed, where as most people have it on the right. But that's how I grew up, so it just ended up there in my home ;)

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home