Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Memorable Thanksgiving (shudder)

As some of you may or may not know, Canadian Thanksgiving was about a month ago. As per usual, I headed home to Ontario to spend the weekend with my parents and brother, and any extended family which could make it. As it turns out, only 11 of us could get there, which by my family's standards, is a pretty crappy turnout.

Anyways, we still always have Thanksgiving at my grandparents' house, and since there were so few of us, it was a piece of cake for my grandma, since three of her daughters were in attendance. Now one thing about my grandparents' house, is that no room is off limits. You can go in any of the bedrooms, the basement, the attic - essentially wherever you like. This includes my grandparents' bedroom, which just so happens to be the room where everyone throws their jackets and cameras and purses and junk.

Usually when a carload of us shows up, we walk in, my grandma stands there in her apron and makes a fuss about everyone that comes in, then we all take off our shoes, traipse into her bedroom, remove our outside clothes, then make our way to the living room, which is usually packed to the gills, and begin a round of hugs hello and all that good stuff.

Another thing you need to know about my grandparents' house is that they never shut their bedroom door. Ever.

And here is where my story gets memorable...

As I'm standing there laughing with my cousin Krista, my mom yells that Ellery has just spit up, and can I grab her a receiving blanket to clean her up? No problem.

I start walking backwards down the hall to the bedroom as I'm still talking to Krista, and as I take the first step into the bedroom, I turn my head to the left, and then everything goes slow motion.

Why?

Because my grandpa is standing there in his underwear and socks. And nothing else.

Yeah. Let that sink in.



Have you got that mental image now? Yeah, me too.



So what does yours truly do?


Well I casually turn myself around so I'm walking forward, keep walking over to the bed as he turns around to look at me in horror, wave at him and say: "Whoa! Hey there grampa! Sorry about walking in on you in your undies - just need to grab the diaper bag and I'll be out of here!"

And he says: "Uhhhhh..."

And then I go: "Got it, see you soon!"

And then I calmly walk back out, stroll over to Krista and hiss in her ear: "Kill me now. I just saw grampa in his underwear. How the hell am I supposed to talk to him over turkey?!?"

Then Krista and I bust into hysterical giggles.

And chatting with my grandpa over turkey? Was completely normal - or at least as normal as my family ever is.

7 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I walked in on my father in law sitting on the toilet years ago! I was so embarressed and I know he was!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Be thankful for those undies LMAO....

7:29 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

A long time ago...maybe I was 15. Anyway I was hitting on these cute girls that were maybe 13 at the beach. Cherry Grove Beach, SC to be exact. And don't tell Gigi this story.

I was doing good in my book. They were laughing and flirting.

Beside them was an old man about my age now. He had shorts on. (You are about to paint a picture.)

He raised a leg and this gigantic testicle came rolling out of his shorts.

I didn't know balls came in sizes that large and I was disgusted at the same time.

I thought, "Poor old guys balls must be numb at that age and he doesn't know we are seeing brain".

It ruined the scene with my potential girlfriends needless to say.

I think about this moment of history now every time I sit around in boxers and I slip out myself so to speak.

That old dude knew what he was doing and that was gross.

8:31 PM  
Blogger James said...

Only 11?? 11 people would not even fit in my front room.
Nah the granpa story was not weird at all. That was nothing. When I was married to my first wife I went swimming a couple of times with my (then)father in law. It was like a male communal changing room and I had to get naked in front of him. I was acutely aware that he could see my "equipment" that I was using on his daughter. That's all I could think of the whole time. I felt like Adam naked in the Garden of Eden when God came to visit.

9:44 PM  
Blogger James said...

Oh Wreggie I just read your comment. An awful moment, I sympathise.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Could have been worse! I was thinking you were going to catch your grandparents having a quickie!

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheehee... Not really one for the memory bank...lol.. I hope you were not scarred for life..

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home