Tuesday, September 02, 2008

For Sid

This is what Sid requested:
"I'd like to hear about a breakup. The one that sticks out the most in your head. Why you broke up, who did the dumping, how you recovered, how it has altered your life etc"

Ooh, this is hard to answer. Particularly because my very first "official" boyfriend was the man I ended up marrying.

We did break up here and there along our relationship, but always ended up back together. Hmm, well actually, one breakup does stick out in my mind...

Alright - so every time Chris and I broke up, it was always my fault. I had this crazy love of pursuit, but then once I would get what I wanted, I would lose interest. Such is my Gemini curse - the thrill is in the chase.

Anyways, so every time we would get back together, some time would go by, then I would begin to lose interest, or I would think some other guy was cute, or blah blah blah, there was always some stupid reason. I remember when he called me to wish me a Happy 18th Birthday - I think he was out of town for something - and I told him I wanted to break up. I hadn't thought about it for one second before the words came out of my mouth, but there they were "I think we should break up," before I even knew I was thinking them. That's the kind of dedication I had to things.

After THAT breakup we got back together again, and that fall I left for college. Thousands of miles away from him and everyone else I knew. One day we were on the phone and he was acting weird, so I asked him what was up, and HE dumped ME. I can't even remember what he said, but I know that I was in shock, he had never dumped me before. (And I absolutely don't mean that to sound callous - I was young and stupid, that's all).

I remember getting off the phone with him. Going and telling my roommates he had broken up with me, smoking about half a pack of cigarettes, getting drunk off my ass at the bar, waking up the next morning and THEN realizing what had really happened. And I lost it.

And that's when I realized that I had been an idiot every other time I had broken up with him. I realized that I wanted him in my life forever, but thought that I had blown it for good.

About 5 days later he called me. He apologized for breaking up with me, and confessed that he had wanted me to know what it was like to be dumped, so that was why he had done it. Oh, and he had went out on a date with a girl named Carla one night. (Never in my life will I forget that girl's name, and never in my life will I not hate her. If I ever run into her I'll probably resort to physical violence.) He said that he realized when he was saying goodnight to her after their date that he wanted to be with me.

And the rest, shall we say, is history.


*Reading this back to myself now, I can't help but laugh - such drama!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

Man, I'd forgotten I'd sent in this question to you. I loved the story. Beautifully told. Can't believe you ended up marrying your first official boyfriend. And I'm glad you both realised that you wanted to be with each other forever.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Hm, I remember you saying that Chris is a bit of a jealous type. I can see that this history can't have helped the poor guy much!

But as someone once said - if you love someone, set them free, if they come back they are yours. Something like that anyway. Sting based a song on it anyway.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that brings back painful memories of my on again/off again high school boyfriend. Only our story didn't turn out so well, which is a good thing. I just could have done without all the stress and drama our relationship created. Glad you guys made it through to the happily ever after part!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Yah, that brought back memories for me too...not so great ones...about drama and on and off relationships...and one that lasted oh 8 freakin years! LOL!!

I'm so glad you two ended up together...it seems like you were just made for eachother!!

You really did surprise me with the drama part though....NOT!!!! LOL!!!!

Love you girly!!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

wow... you were always the one going back to him? i have newfound respect for chris! well done, sir!

6:02 PM  
Blogger James said...

So if you have another baby girl I guess you won't be naming her Carla then?

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home