Monday, September 01, 2008

For Rock Chef

This is part of the list Rock Chef came up with for things for me to blog about while I'm in Calgary - so without further ado...

More silly little stories about going to the wrong job and stuff like that?
Will address this at a later date - waaaay too many silly stories in my memory bank.

The first thing you can remember from when you were a child?
I'm actually going to answer this one once I've had a chance to get back to Ontario first, I've got photos of the first thing I can remember :)

Your weirdest neighbour?
My weirdest neighbour was at the last place we lived, in a funky little neighbourhood called Wolseley. It is chock full of big beautiful houses, most of which have been turned into apartments, and the area is overflowing with hippie types. It was actually a great place to live.
Anyways, the house we lived in had 4 apartments, one of which was literally one room, and it was about 12x16 feet. It had a homemade bunkbed in it, under which there was a couch, then there was a fridge and the tiniest stove known to man on the other wall, and they had to use the bathroom in the scary basement.
And two people lived there. A husband and wife. They were 60 year old chain-smokers, and were some of the strangest people I have ever met. The wife's name was Vi, and I can't remember the husband's name - probably because Chris and I referred to him as Crazy Eyes.
He was the cliche crazy old war vet; long grey hair in a ponytail, dirty camo cargo pants, dirty t-shirt, dirty hanky hanging out of a random pocket, old scuffed work boots, and a bandana around his head. He reminded me of Tommy Chong, from Cheech and Chong. Oh, and he'd never been to war.
He was a pervert of the worst kind. Our bedroom was directly above their one bedroom "luxury suite", and after Chris and I would, um, partake in physical love (hahahahahaha) he would actually comment to me about it when I would see him. He'd say things like "You are a damn wildcat in bed, aren'tcha girl?"
Yeah, I should have punched the psycho in the head MANY a time. But like I said, we called him Crazy Eyes, and it was for a reason. The man was loony tunes.

Something that you had the chance to do but didn't and now regret?
When Monica (the Bahama Mama) and I were 17, we found this program where you could travel to Europe and live with a family for 6 months. The organization that sent you would find you a job doing some kind of easy-ish job like being a waitress or secretary, and after paying the family, you got to pocket anything else.
We decided that before we settled down, we would do this together, living in the same town, and having our last hurrah before we had to really grow up. We would talk about it for hours - over how much fun we would have, the people we would meet, how we'd make great friends there, then travel back to see them every couple of years.
But then I got accepted into my journalism program, and the husband and I got engaged, and I moved thousands of miles away to go to school, and the plan went to hell.
It's not that I'm unhappy with my life now, in fact just the opposite, but I think about that plan often, especially since I only see Monica twice a year now, and wished desperately that I could go back in time and do it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

Thanks Ali - that was fun! Travelling is probably the thing I wish I had done before settling down, but I will do that later instead. We had a neighbour a bit like that once - he never said anything directly, but the way he said "good morning" sometimes...

9:15 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Are you kidding me? That neighbor said THAT to you!!! Wow!! I probably would have sat there with my mouth hanging open not knowing WHAT to say!! LOL!!!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

oh wait...that post reminded me of some neighbors that lived on the other side of a duplex from us in Oklahoma.

They were newlyweds.
She was LOUD.
She was very pleased.
She taught me a thing or two!

LOL!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger James said...

can't believe that Crazy Eyes guy.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home