Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What A Day...

Today started off looking like a great day. It was warm, I managed to sleep a little last night, and was generally just feeling good - I love when that happens.

I got to work and began on my never-ending to do list - a hundred emails and phone calls under my belt by the time 9:30 rolled around.

That's when I realized that I was having trouble seeing out of my left eye...no wait, I could barely see anything out of my left eye, and it was actually creeping into my right! I walked down the hall to Krista's office and asked her to look at them, wondering if there was actually something in them that I couldn't see.

Once I told her what was going on, and told her I was dizzy as well she got the "Hmmm" look and told me that she thought I should call the husband - who is a nurse for anyone that doesn't know. I made my way back to my office, sat down and dialed, suddenly realizing that my heart was beating very fast - and by the time the husband got to the phone he says I was slurring my speech and immediately instructed me to go to the nearest hospital.

I hung up with him, called Zig's office, said "Can you take me to the hospital?" and 10 seconds later he was standing in front of me saying "Let's go!"

We made our way to the hospital where I filled out all my paperwork, and Zig stayed with me until the husband drove over from his hospital and they traded off.
*Thanks Zig for being so great about taking me.*

I hate, hate, hate making the husband worry. Seems like I've done it more to him in the past few years than ever before, and I feel so guilty about it.
*Sorry husband.*

Anyways, after some assessments the doctor comes in and tells me that they were alarmed at my blood pressure and the other signs I was presenting with (which apparently were classic signs of a stroke), and that when someone is pregnant they have to rule out some stuff right away.

So - shortly after that I had a gallon of blood taken, peed into another itty bitty cup, my blood pressure taken a few dozen more times, and then I went in for a CT scan to eliminate bleeding in my brain. Huh, fun. Their main worry after ruling out a stroke was pre-eclampsia, which is a pregnancy condition.

After a very, very long day in emergency, then in the obstetrics triage, all of my tests came back okay, and they were alright with sending me home, especially since I already have an ultrasound scheduled for Thursday, and my regular appointment on Friday.

Still, it was scary. My mom is not impressed with the fact that they couldn't give me any real idea of what was up with everything, especially losing my vision - and made me promise that if anything else weird happens that I would go to the ER immediately.

Sheesh! Talk about your crappy day! But really, if it gives me a reason to listen to Butterbean's heartbeat galloping along, and prove that they're okay, then I guess that's fine with me.


Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Honey if Zig ever can't take you, remember you can call me and I will!!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

okay okay...One month from today will be my daughters 8th bday. Almost 8 years ago I had the same symptoms and yes that is what it was.. toxemia. they took me in almost 3 weeks early. i am not going to tell you the rest because my gosh, you don't need to hear the story of me, but do me a favor: Rest. Stay home. Feet up. Relax. After the little guy is born i will tell you my story. oh wait, just to let you know... she was three weeks early and still weighed almost 9 lbs. good luck ali, my dear friend **giggles** ;)~
For some reason I just thought butterbean is a girl. shoot. is she or he? do you EVEN KNOW THE SEX? (we never knew but my hubby always thought it was a she and named her)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Sitting in Silence said...

Hey...I'm with the post above...same thing happened to me and 6 weeks later they finally pulled out their finger and said...deliver this woman stat...

I had the bright fluttering eye thing three times before they worked it out...

Not saying it's the same thing but what I had sounded the same...

Rest up and hope you are feeling better soon.


12:23 AM  
Blogger Mojonah said...

Trust that all will be well, and that if anything is wrong, the doctors will catch is QUICKLY!

5:52 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Listen to Jahooni. Clare had that in the final stages of carrying Sophie and had to spend 2 weeks in hospital. The odd thing was that she felt on top of the world while *I* had the symptoms.

Look after yourself!


6:02 AM  
Blogger Reggie said...

I'm at a loss...just get better and watch your what your doc says.

10:04 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

Hey, I'm glad you're doing better now! - and of course I'd take you! - we were all very worried about you here at work - :)

Anyway, I hope all goes well for the Ultrasound today... enjoy the cold jelly! hehe

6:59 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

This pregnancy is hard on both of us.

Butterbean is worth it though, just make sure you keep my work number on speed dial!!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Amos said...

Yikes Ali! Seriously listen to jahooni. Rest. I ended up with my little pumpkin at 34 weeks over pre-eclampsia. I was having headaches, major swelling, and major tired. The doctor said if I would've waited a few more days both me and baby could've died. Don't do anything that you absolutely don't have to cause that little bun needs to stay warming in the oven as long as he can.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home