Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's Official...cough, hack, wheeze...I'm Sick

Remember how I told you that last Thursday I woke up with a wicked cough...one that was sounding a little like pneumonia? Well I have coughed and hacked, barely slept - because when I lay down I wheeze - blew my nose, taken Tylenol and felt sorry for myself every day since then. That's day 6 now. Ewww.

On Sunday I wasn't feeling too bad, because up until then it had sort of been a cough and runny nose, with a side of chest pain from coughing so hard. I decided I could totally subject the rest of the world to that, and I kept my lunch and shopping plans with Princess. Especially since when she called me to solid up the plans, she was sniffley and coughing too - so we figured, we're both already sick, what harm can we do to each other? Famous last words. She's nice and gross sick now too!

That night I went to bed feeling a tiny bit worse, and woke up Monday feeling like total and complete crap. I don't think it helped that I got up at midnight and stayed up till 4 am - but when you can't breathe, what are you supposed to do? At least Monday was a holiday - oh yay!
One wall of our living room - a bassinet, a stroller, change pad...my blanket, pillow, and a mountain of kleenex. Gross.

Fast forward to today - I had taken the day off because I was having a day of doctor's appointments, even before I was sick. I had my regular doctor's appointment, an injection of Win-Ro at another clinic for my RH negative blood to protect Butterbean and I from each other, then they were testing my blood sugars to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes. The blood sugar test alone took 2 hours and 3 trips to the lab for blood draws and peeing into itty bitty cups.

So, in the middle of all that I had my regular appointment to check on the Bean and I, and the second my doctor walked in the room I busted into a coughing fit of epic proportions. It was horrendous. Her eyes saucered open, she listened to my chest, asked how long I'd been sick, asked how much the Bean had been kicking (which wasn't as much as normal) and said, "You have an infection and I'm writing you a note to stay home from work for at least 3 days."

She told me that to stand a chance of getting better I need to stay warm and cozy, and that other people's germs won't do me any favours, plus I'm supposed to be monitoring baby kicks to make sure they get back to normal, so that home is the best place for me.

But a note? I've never had a sick note before - I feel so...I don't know...Grade 2, I guess.

I guess this is payback for me joking several months ago that I should just start randomly calling in sick for days I want off, since I never take sick days. Karma got me I guess, I've never been so sick in my entire life as I have been since Christmas.

Ah well, I guess my little 2 pound roommate is sucking all my health supply - but in that case, I'm happy to be miserable.


Blogger Reggie said...

So sorry...take care of you and Butterbean.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

NOW I feel awful...your doctor is mad at me now!!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

I had the same thing Ali and my cough has lasted 2 weeks! Some people here are having it last up to 6 weeks....

I hope you feel better soon and take care of that little guy. ;)

9:03 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Hah, they will be calling you "Sick-note Ali" from now on!

So I hope you are doing what you were told! Snuggle down and get better!

4:03 AM  
Blogger Sitting in Silence said...

Look after yourself.....your poor thing....hope you and Bean are feeling better soon.

The picture is another Ali classic.....

Look on the bright side...there is always Dr Phil and Good Ole Oprah...

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home