Thursday, March 06, 2008

I Just Don't Know

Have you ever known one of those people, that for the life of you, you cannot read?

Like just when you think you might have made a little bit of headway into what they're all about, suddenly they do something that totally throws you, and you're back at square one?

I have one of those people.

I've known them for several years, but am still figuratively scratching my head after every time we get together. To this day I have no idea if they like me, loathe me, despise me, love me or really don't know themselves.

I've made every effort to go out of my way to be nice to this person - include them in conversation, tell them jokes, express interest in everything they've talked about - and yet still it is so awkward.

More often than not it's almost as though they're ignoring me completely - though they seem to enjoy the husband's company very much. However, occasionally they will be delightful, asking me what's new, seeming to be genuinely interested in what I have to say, laughing at ridiculous stories I tell...so then the next time we get together I'll be thinking okay - this should go well, no awkwardness. But then I walk into the room and they give me a tight lipped smile and a two second glance and I know that nothing has changed.

I'm kind of at my wits end.

And I know, most of you are thinking "Well why do you continue torturing yourself with hanging around this person then?"

The reason for all the torture is that both the husband and I get along fabulously with their significant other. So much so that we would hate to end the relationship because of the cold shoulder from their spouse. But yes, even my husband notices how odd this person is with me.

Sometimes I have half a mind to just flat out ask them if I've done something to offend them - but then reality kicks in, and I know that to say that would put a glitch into the relationship with their spouse.

Maybe with Butterbean soon to make their appearance, it will provide us with some time to step away (though we'll miss at least one of them!) as they don't yet have children and they don't both seem to be into the idea of having anything to do with ours.


Well, one of them does...

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

I know someone exactly like that!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my closest friends was like that for YEARS. Then suddenly, she was pursuing a closer friendship with me. I have no idea what changed, but I'm happy to have her as a friend so I don't think about it much anymore.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Whoa...look at all the posts I have missed while I have been away.....

I know someone just like your post as well,just when you think you know them..WHAM...try again...

12:08 AM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

Well as I was reading this I was thinking Zig and (his wife) but they have a baby... so that is out.

Then I was thinking me (but I have a child) so I am out.

I have a couple people in my life that I share your opinions with. It sucks at the time, Maybe it will get better, if not: MOVE ON!

Once you become a mother you'll know what people you want in your life and which ones you don't. Motherhood changes everything.

How is the little fella doing? **giggles**

12:20 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

We have known people like that. In the long term we have not managed to keep the friendship going - too much hard work!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Personally, I say life is short and you can't waste time on people who just won't recriprocate. There are too many people out there who WANT to be your friend...LIKE ME! LOL!!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home