Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dear Butterbean,

Today marks 7 months and the beginning of my third trimester in carrying you. The emotions running through my body are so intense that they overwhelm me on a daily basis.

We have chosen a name which your dad I started out saying once in a while, just to see how it feels, and have now fallen into using continually when we are alone together. It seems the perfect name for you, chosen out of love and adoration, even before you are born.

You love loud, bass heavy music. You seem to delight in hearing rap and hip-hop, because of their steady beats, and I can feel you pumping your fists and feet in excitement whenever I crank it up.

You seem to have developed a radar for when your dad is watching my belly for signs of your kicks, or when he's resting his hand in an attempt to feel you moving. You instantly still yourself, resulting in his disappointment nearly every time. I've told him that this is just you ensuring he is wrapped around your tiny, pink, pruny finger so that he doesn't stand a chance when you are born. Right out of the blue he will often ask "Did you know we're having a baby?" as though he still can't believe it, even with my protruding belly.

But each night when we crawl into bed, he scooches right down next to you to read you your bedtime story, and after hearing his voice steadily for about 30 seconds you begin to squirm and kick, and do so through the entire book. I know now that you've begun to recognize him, and wait to hear his voice speaking only to you each night.

We have begun getting things ready for your arrival, moving our own things and clearing space out for you to fit into our lives. Last night we put together your stroller, and your dad pranced around the apartment pushing it, trying to get a feel for what it will be like when you are here. Your bassinet has been put together, and sits waiting for you in the living room, filled with soothers and face cloths, a tiny little brush for your gums (which your dad and I think is so funny), and other little things we've picked up for you.

Soon we'll have grandpa bring your crib in to the city, and we've already been scouting out dressers and rocking chairs and change tables for you. There are so many things to do, and such a short time until you get here, but we both know that once you do, nothing else will matter. We've waited for you a long time.

I'm counting the days till I can hold you close to me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

This is quite possibly the best post ever....

I can't wait for Butterbean to get here!

P.S. That stroller is sweeeeeeet!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

What a beautiful post....brings back so many memories.....

Such a wonderful special time.

I cant believe how fast it has gone (from a blogging reading), point of view......

Not long now ! enjoy every single minute !!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post! I'd love to see you continue to do these even long after butterbean arrives!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

This was beautiful. I can hardly say anything in words as my heart is skipping a beat just thinking about it....

You should really journal these thoughts. These poems. These once in a moment times. For Him. For the little baby boy that has a name, a Mommmy and Daddy and a Home.

Thank you Ali for sharing with us. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

ps (makes it just yesterday as I was living in your shoes 7 years ago.... :)

12:12 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Fantastic stuff.

I remember ours doing the "daddy is looking, better stop moving" trick.

Love the idea of bedtime stories already. I still miss those - Postman Pat, Spot the Dog, The Very Hungry Caterpillar...

You know I have never been this excited about someone else's baby before?

Love to you all.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Awww - you guys are all so sweet!

But I have to ask...Jahooni, what makes you think Butterbean is a boy?

He he :)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That was such a sweet post - it brought tears to my eyes!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

I see a baby boy.... for some reason. It read like a baby boy journal. I have a 50/50 chance right???? ;-)

3:21 PM  
Blogger mr zig said...

That was a great post... :) I am also super excited for your baby to arrive!!!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home