Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ladylike? Um...Not So Much

I have a big, bad habit.

As far as women go, most would probably be ashamed to admit I was part of their gender party.

As far as men go, I've actually made jaws drop.

As far as sailors go, I do believe I could make one blush.

I have one bad ass potty mouth.

I have been swearing since the first week I started riding the bus to go to the Catholic school (aka - the "good" school) as opposed to the public school (aka - the "bad" school).

I'll tell you right now, Catholic kids have foul language habits. That's where I learned every single curse word in the book - not "the book" - but, you know.

Anyways, I do realize that to many a person, the way I toss around swears makes me sound uneducated and simple.

I also realize that a properly placed swear word can make quite an impact in a sentence.

The odd thing is that I can turn it on and off like a faucet. I would get off the bus leaving behind a trail of swear words that would make my mother cry, then stroll in the house, never to utter another curse until my foot hit the bus steps in the morning.

Even now, I do mumble "shit" at their house once in a while, and I may have dropped the occasional f-bomb when I've stubbed my toe, or dropped a crystal platter on the floor and busted it into 10 thousand pieces - but really and truly, I barely swear at home.

And if I really, really tried, I might be able to incorporate less swearing into my daily life.

But you know what? I really, really like to swear.

8 Comments:

Blogger mr zig said...

yes, I am witness to your love of swearing - in fact I actually JUST heard you swear from down the hall - but it was well placed, and became the perfect ingredient for that sentence.

10:11 AM  
Blogger cmacc said...

Fellow sailor here. I do my best to keep them quiet at work but wowsers. My favorite two words together when describing someone is "dumb f*uck". Hee hee. Always makes me smile.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait til Butterbean drops the f-bomb. That'll cure you in a heartbeat! LOL!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I kind of like when you swear sometimes. Other times it makes me blush....like in the middle of Wal-Mart.


Terri - I just might be stunned if that happens. Then hit the floor, and laugh till it hurts.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Terri's comment brings us back to "A Christmas Story"!

Reminds me of the first time our eldest swore, when she was about 4. My wife had taken her to the town while I was at work. They got back and realised they had no keys.

Sophie looked up and said "Oh shit."

4:07 AM  
Blogger cmacc said...

Its horrible when your wee one swears. Because it is so funny and you don't want to laugh but its just so funny so you do and then they think they are the queen of comedy and keep doing it and then you realize you have created a mini-sailor but still, you keep laughing. Oh well. Theres worse things they could be doing. Right?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Oh I hear you on this one...I have been known to sound like a fish mongers wife on the odd day as well.

Ok maybe a little more then the odd day !!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

shit shit shit... i have turrets.. shit shit shit.. so it's okay. shit.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home