Tuesday, September 18, 2007

So, um...What Constitutes a Stalker?

This past weekend when I was out on my date with Princess, we started talking about our blogs. More specifically though, we were talking about all the people that read our blogs, and who we communicate with outside of the comments box, and how we both feel about that.
Here's the thing that I've discovered...at least about myself.

There are some of you that I would love, love, love to know outside the blogosphere. I would love to be able to call you up and say "Hey, what's shakin'? Do you want to go grab a coffee?" However, since in most cases that's not really feasible, I have to make do with a comment on your blog or a quick email if I have your address.

There are some of you that I communicate with on a daily basis, we even hang out with spouses and stuff - those of you that I know personally. There are others of you that I email with once a week or so, some that I do phone calls with, a few more of you are Facebook buddies, and I know a couple of people's actual residential addresses or where they work.

Now here is where my title comes into question - just what constitutes a stalker? Or even, what is going too far in the way of too much information?

Because there are days when I read one of your blogs and want nothing more than to call you up and tell you I'm thinking about you (in a completely non-pervert way) and that you are not alone. Sometimes an email is enough, though I don't have everyone's email address, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather send you a card. I'm somewhat of a card-o-holic...it seems I have an addiction to sending people $6 pieces of paper.

There are other times when I see something in a store (I'm talking little, silly things here) that I think would make your day if you were to get it in the mail all the way from Winnipeg. Some things remind me of a certain person, or maybe someone else has been looking everywhere for something and I happen to know a place that has 5 of them for sale - that sort of thing.

But for the most part, I don't want to ask anyone for their address because I'm worried that I will turn out to be the person that people think is a stalker. The thing is - I am soooo not stalker material.

First of all, my life is busy enough - who has time to follow someone else's life so closely?

Second of all, do you know how much work it would be to be a good stalker? Always having to know someone's every move - where they're going, who they're meeting, when they'll be back...

Third of all, I lose interest in things too quickly to ever make a career out of being a stalker - I'm already losing interest in this post!

Fourth of all, I'm just too lazy. Seriously. The last thing I want to do is sit in your bushes and watch every little thing you do. I'd probably just lay down for a nap in your peonies.

Here's how I look at it - you have to use your best judgement. If someone is sending you nudie pictures and you've started receiving phone calls of heavy breathing, maybe don't give out your home address and what time you're going to be alone that night.
For the most part, I think the majority of us are pretty smart, and are on top of things enough to realize when someone is getting a bit psycho.

So, um...if I happen to ask any of you for your phone number or home address - I can assure you that I am not coming to find you - we'll be lucky if I even take the time to write it in my address book.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it all strange? I read your blog from a link on Princess Diaries who I found when she commented on my blog finding it who knows how. I still don't know how she found me but now I read blogs that you both link to regularly. I'm used to reading ones from far off places so to read local ones and actually know where people are talking about is neat.

I hope you do not tire of your blog. You write wonderfully!

9:05 PM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I am not afraid of you being a stalker... you can buy me little gifts anytime... my work address is... 3 doors down from your own personal office... I'm the handsome guy in the corner office... drop by anytime! :)

9:29 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

I think I feel pretty safe - unless you have got a private satellite overhead filming what I get up to, you will have trouble stalking me across the Atlantic.

Still, if you want to send me little presents, you are more than welcome...

3:50 AM  
Blogger James said...

Haha I know what has made you think of this it's MY stalker isn't it the one I told you about...it's not so bad being stalked...at least you know somebody cares..

4:28 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Some of us aren't entertaining enough in RL to worry about being asked. :D

8:20 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Well I'm glad none of you are worried about me stalking you - my blog must make it clear how lazy I really am.

And James, your stalker DID make me think about this, but I've contemplated it many times before...but I don't think I would take it as someone "caring" about me...yikes!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. After keeping up with others through their blogs, you definitely begin to think of them as friends, not just an entertaining site. I have exchanged some emails, exchanged some gifts, like CDs and books. I don't think it constitutes stalking.

If I were you though, I'd be wary of that Zig guy. :)

6:24 PM  
Blogger j.k.a said...

lol...the picture of your hubby is hilarious...!

I do not for a second believe you could have a stalker-ish bone in your body, and I often wish I could call someone after I've read a particular post...

You're in good, non-stalker company :)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

I am SO behind in my reading! I'm very happy that you posted about this, as that was a hilarious conversation!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home