Thursday, September 06, 2007

Hurry Up and Wait

This seems to be the story of my life.
As an editor I have intense deadlines, every day is packed with "critical" jobs and "number one priority" projects. This set of proofs needed to go to the printer yesterday, and that company is leaving for China tomorrow and needs their magazine today.
It's a never ending cycle of pressure - but I thrive on it.
Here's the thing - the designers and myself bust our humps to get stuff done. Stuff that a company will turn in a month late, we will turn around and have the first proof of their magazine to them in 5 days - it's insane.
It never fails though, that a company will bitch and complain when their magazine is two days late at proof stage, conveniently forgetting that they turned in everything to us 3 weeks late, and that there is still outstanding editorial.
And, after all that running around on our part, they will sit on their proofs for a week or two because Stan is away on holidays, or Bob is too busy picking his ass to glance over them at the moment.
Hurry up and wait.

In my current health situation it's more of the same. Put me on fertility drugs to try and get me pregnant, decide they aren't working and tell me I need surgery instead. Fine, I'll do the surgery because in the end it may help me have a baby - it's still a scary thing. So I've agreed to do it, but I have to wait until mid-November to have it done. This doesn't do much for my thought process. It just gives me time to sit and think about all the things that could go wrong, and considering my past surgical history, that's not such a stretch.
Hurry up and wait.

It seems that everything in my life is confined to the title of this blog - well guess what?

I am an impatient person!

Waiting is not one of my strong points!
I will not win any awards for my ability to relax and let things happen!

Sheesh! Give a girl a break.

*In my defense, I have become much more patient in the last year - though it was no fault of my own and I fought it tooth and nail ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

I have had my fair share of dealings with the publishing business, usually doing maps for journal articles and such. You are absolutely right about the "we can take as long as we like but expect you to turn it round in 5 minutes" attitude. Don't know how you do it all the time!

I really feel for you with the baby situation. As you know, we went through this sort of thing - in the end we were told it would NEVER happen, save up for a holiday instead! We were going to cruise the Nile and see the pyramids, but Sophie arrived instead.

I know it can drive you pretty nutty too - at our lowest ebb it seened that everyone else had babies whether they wanted them or not, and there were a couple of situations where we almost stole one that had been left crying. Luckily we stopped ourselves!

Hang in there!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

I am sorry...I know surgery can be pretty nerve racking and scarey. I'll be praying for you. Keep us posted as the date gets closer.

You can have one of mine if you want...

6:10 AM  
Blogger James said...

.....Or 3 of mine!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Will keep you in my prayers!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Could I borrow some of this so called "patience" that you have? :)

11:58 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

It is true, you do seem more patient these days! :) but, hey - thats just how the world works... people always expect people to hurry up, so they can take their time.

It's fun, isn't it? ;)

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home