Tuesday, July 24, 2007

ZIG and the Spider (sheesh, what is WITH the spiders lately?)

I had a guitar lesson tonight - for me it went better than it usually seems to. I only panicked for a brief moment when Zig said "okay, now it's time for you to show me what you know." Usually that's my cue for a full blown freak out and lots of saying "I can't do it - don't make me" before I finally calm myself down enough to just do it. However, tonight there were other plans in the works to help me relax enough to be able to play.
As Zig was waiting for me to quit panicking, he played a little song, showing me how to fill in notes between chords and I happened to glance above his head just as a tiny spider was lowering itself into his hair.
I quickly covered my mouth, knowing that if I told him he would most certainly freak, which I didn't want him to do.
He stopped playing when he saw the look of horror on my face and said "What!? What's wrong?" in a pre-panic, higher pitched tone of voice.
As he was asking me the spider climbed back up it's web just a couple inches and off his hair.
I said to him in a very calm voice "don't move, there is a tiny spider above your head, but it's moving back up its web."
His eyes grew into two huge saucers and he slowly rocked his body a little bit to the left, out from under where the spider was hanging. When he was out of harms way he stood up and had a little baby freak out, then wondered out loud to himself what he was going to kill it with.
I watched as he reached for what I thought would be a book, or tool, or something along those lines. But what he picked up off the desk shocked me completely. He had a gun!

Sidebar here: Before anyone starts to wonder about what kind of a person has a gun just laying around his office, you must know that it was an unloaded air pistol. He is not some crazy, gun-toting lunatic that shoots things as he pleases.


Now where was I?
Oh yes, he pulls up his arm to reveal a gun! Now I should have known he didn't have a loaded handgun sitting there, but just the same, when he aimed it 2 inches from that little hanging spider, I had a momentary lapse in judgement and started begging "No, no, no! Don't shoot it!"

Too late.


With a bang of air I watched the little spider blow across the room into the opposing wall. It took about half a second before I realized that the gun had just shot air, and then I started screaming.
I almost fell of my chair because all of a sudden it hit me how funny it was that this grown man jumped up and SHOT a spider at point blank range while giving a guitar lesson. I sat there holding Ramona unable to control my laughter, and then Zig started laughing too. I just kept screaming at him "I can't believe you shot it!" then more laughter "Who shoots a spider?" then some tears and more laughing.

It took about 5 minutes for me to calm down - and you know what? Once we started my lesson again I started playing right away. Who has time to panic when you just saw a spider get shot?


*Note: Zig was much more manly about the whole situation than I was with my spider situation last week :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I have my reservations about the type of "grown man" that would experience a "little baby freak out" over a spider. I guess his character would be redeemed if he at least shot it with a real gun. :)

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so FUNNY!

8:03 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

In my own defense, I did have the "Real deal" just an arms reach away in the gun cabinet... The thought crossed my mind, but I figured that should be my LAST option... And, hey, at least I'm manly enough to admit my fear of spiders... and at least I didn't run out screaming - I did take matters into my own hands... Even if it was with a pistol.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

in a pre-panic, higher pitched tone of voice...that is funny.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home