Monday, July 16, 2007

Screeeeeeeeeeech...Ka-blam!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls - I am at a mental roadblock.

This submission for the father/daughter book has me at my wit's end. When I started writing it seemed so easy; the words flew from my fingertips and filled my screen. I was thrilled with how quickly it came.

But...and this is a big but...I have "hit the wall" so to speak.

Here's the thing, I love what I've written so far, but it doesn't do justice to the relationship I have with my dad or the importance of how he has raised me. For the record, I'm writing about the greatest life lesson he has ever taught me.

I know, you probably all think I'm over-thinking it in my own mind, but for once that's not the case. Usually when I write something I'm pretty confident when I'm done that it's been written well, and I feel comfortable submitting it for someone else's eyes.

However, on those occasions that I know a piece is lacking, and I just can't figure out how to fix it, I let someone read it ahead of time.

I knew I wasn't getting across what I wanted to, so tonight I picked on two poor souls to give me their honest opinions. Zig and Alyssa became my guinea pigs. And Alyssa said everything that I already knew. She told me where it was strong, and where it was weak, and though it was a great tribute to this particular life lesson, it did little to explain how or why my dad feels the way he does about it, and why it was important for him to teach it to me.

Groan.

Lately I've been feeling as though my writing and editing skills are not quite as sharp as they used to be, perhaps this is a reflection of that.

Nevertheless, I will finish this piece if it kills me, because the idea that something my dad has taught me may be in a book for all the world to read brings me so much happiness. I wish everyone could meet him, but since most of you never will, at least you might be able to get a glimpse of him through my eyes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

I would take a day or so away from it and then come back with a fresh mind. Maybe my latest post will blow away the cobwebs...

4:49 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

okay....what happened to the picture? That last one was my favorite. Now I have to get used to a new Ali.

I'm not sure that words will express in your mind the feelings you have for your father.There may be part of the problem. If that makes sense.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Writer's block sucks. I often have to put stuff down for a long time (several months) and pick it back up before I can finish writing it. Of course, what Reggie says also applies. Sometimes it's hard to describe something you FEEL with your heart. I'm willing to bet you probably won't ever be fully satisified with it (not because of bad writing, but because you love Dad so much and want it to be *perfect*) but hang in there and make it the best you can. I know he'll be proud of you, regardless.

(And I like the new profile pic!)

6:45 AM  
Blogger James said...

Way I see it you face two problems....
1) Because it is your Dad you are writing about you cannot be objective about your writing
2)You might have to accept you will NEVER be able to get 100% in words what you are feeling in your heart.

My advice is get Chris and Zig to look over it for you

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home