Friday, April 13, 2007

I Love Ramona

Today was another long day. Long, but wonderful.
I'm that kind of exhausted where you feel happy and contented with the world.
The only shit part of today was that I didn't get to see the husband at all. I crawled out of bed bright and early and by the time I got home tonight he had already left for the night shift - so I miss you husband, but I'll see you on Sunday.

So yeah, went in to work a little early, worked like a fiend for a while and took care of some crap I have been unable to force myself to do for one lame reason or another, went for a great lunch, spent a relaxing (though busy) afternoon at the office, then went for my very first guitar lesson.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but Zig is actually teaching me guitar - in exchange for me bringing him a coffee at every lesson. Now I don't know about anyone else - but I'm thinking I got the better end of the deal here - lol!
For the first 15 minutes of the lesson I was so excited, I was nodding along - happy as a clam, then, slowly, my brain turned to mush. Everything he said started sounding like the teacher from Charlie Brown - "wha, wha, wha, wha, whaaaaaaaaaaaa."

This went on for several minutes - me trying to focus on his excited teaching, but unable to comprehend what was coming out of his mouth. And then slowly a lightbulb went off (except it wasn't like a regular lightbulb that just goes "bing" and it's on...it was more like one of those energy efficient bulbs that you turn on and then have to wait a few seconds for.

Now I've been told that patience isn't one of my strong suits and so I tried to be calm and not run screaming from the basement shrieking "What the hell is a fret? And why is this so difficult!?" and then the lightbulb finally went "bing" and I said "oh hang on, so these chords are all as if someone who's right handed is playing them?" And Zig said "yes." And I said "oh, that makes sense then, I thought I was going crazy."

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I am hooked.
Hooked on Ramona like white on rice.

But during the course of the lesson it became glaringly clear (glaring like someone came up and said "Hey, you need to get rid of those nails) that I need to say buh-bye to my fingernails.
I can tell already that this is going to be more of a sacrifice than I had envisioned - but it will be worth it.

As soon as I left my lesson I drove myself to a store and bought a brand new notebook to write notes in - as well as the "tests" I will be given at each new lesson.
When I got home I took Ramona out, then sat in the middle of the kitchen table and practised my "assignment."

I can't wait till the day that I can rock out so hard that I'm dripping with sweat, singing at the top of my lungs, and feeling like one of the coolest people ever. That will be a fantastic moment - when I finally "finish" something I started.

9 Comments:

Blogger mr zig said...

You did well today Ali! - but... you better practice!!! practice practice practice... and before you know it you will be able to say "I play guitar" instead of saying "I'm learning to play guitar" - then - at that time you will be ready for the rocking out till you drip with sweat...

12:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you. Will anticipate your tour!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Sorry about the nails girlfriend!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Practice, practice,practice!

As Brian Adams sang, "Played until my fingers bled"...

3:24 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I'm glad someone else has a attention span like I do;but I am sorry for you too!! It's terrible to actually want to pay attention & your brain just won't cooperate..Aaawww.
You do give me hope though dearest Ali, that even I, 'Ms born w/short fingers' & small hands(i'm only 5'4,how big would be normal??I don't have Big Boobs either,go figure, I weigh 108lbs!)has a chance to play a guitar !! You go girl!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Gigi - get a 3/4 size guitar!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

John,Thanks for the info about a 3/4 Guitar; I had no idea there was such a thing!!!I was going to take lessons as a teenager but considering I was going to be a Professional Ballet Dancer(for real)my mom said either I could dance 7 days a week(instead of 6) or take Guitar lesson's;I was devastated but the Ballet won!
My Brother(not 'Asswipe',Peaches &Purls soon to be ex;but my sweet one)plays Bass Guitar & Guitar so maybe there is hope??

9:05 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Gigi, if I can play guitar, anyone can. I have Dyspraxia, a condition that affects coordination, amongst other things - learning was hard work but really worth it!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Friendly Manitoban said...

I love the name Ramona! My brother had a puppy he named Ramona after the Ramones...which of course is completely irrelevant to your post but interesting to me :)

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home