Thursday, March 29, 2007

How Much More of This Shit Can I Take...

This was another terrible day at work. This may actually be the worst week I've had at this job - and as you all know, I love my job.
For starters, I have yet to have my 6-month review. On April 26th I will have been working there for one year. I have asked about this stupid review for months and am always told "soon, soon" and, surprise, it never happens.
Second, I was actually hired at this company as an "Editorial Coordinator/Proofreader." However, two weeks into the job I was being introduced as "our new editor, Ali."
Awesome, that's my dream job...of course I wanted to be an editor. Three months go by and I accumulate 5 of my own titles, with each one being published between 4 and 6 times a year. No problem - that's not too many deadlines in one year.

Then a bomb goes off. The other editor is quitting and I will be the sole editor. Holy Shit. In the space of two weeks I go from having 5 titles to 40. And each of those is published between 1 and 8 times a year. Now, by my rough estimates as I'm sitting at home, remembering all those dates - I'm facing at least 120 publishing dates that have to be met each year. If you know anything about publishing you will know that that is an insane amount of deadlines. Especially, because each and every one of those publications has about 5 deadlines of their own to hit.
Oh god, I'm rambling here...sorry.
Anyways, so at the age of 26 I am suddenly the sole editor for the western Canada branch of an entire company. For the past 11 months I have busted my ass at work, doing overtime, missing out on time with my husband, my friends, my family - all to make myself look good in the eyes of my superiors. I am a hard worker and have no problem with putting in extra time once in a while - honestly.
One of my problems, though, is that I have never, ever turned down something someone has asked me to do at work. This is a major issue because I cannot make myself say no. It's ridiculous the things I agree to do.

However...I am working for literal peanuts. I should have gotten my raise when I got my damn 6 month review, and even if I had gotten it then, there is no way they would pay me what I deserve. Plus, I'm actually working for the wage of a job lesser than what I should be making.
I went in today to ask my new manager if it would be possible for me to get my 6 month review before I hit my one year mark. He said to come see him in the morning and we'll talk about it. I've had about all I can take - I'm asking for a $10, 000 raise - minimum.

I'm not a total idiot - even I know that when you're so overwhelmed at your job that your head never stops pounding, you actually tear up at the prospect of another day, and your chest hurts each time you look at your workload, something's gotta give.

And I refuse to let it be me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I'm sorry you're under such tremendous stress. You definitely deserve a raise.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Can I ever relate to your pain!
Hang in there - we'll have to go out drinking one night and commisserate...
Good luck with the review and the raise- you definitely deserve it!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

You need to stand your ground - all the time you are efficiently doing 2 editing jobs for the wage of 1 assistant your bosses are under no pressure to change things - they are saving a ton of money for a start!

Go kick some ass!

3:38 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Sounds so stressful! But you are sooo right to ask for a minimum $10,000 raise- when I asked my boss for a raise I went about $2000 more than I thought I'd get and he actually said yes. So always ask high and hopefully they realize they have to actually pay you for your work.
Ahhh, the joys of working in publishing.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

All your boss has to do is read your blog to see how dedicated and loyal you are and also how much you love your job. But YES, you deserve a raise. You can't make it too easy on them b/c yes they will just contine to 'save a ton of money' by underpaying and overworking you. Definately ask high! First of all, the person you are asking is also a person who at one point in time has contimplated asking his/her boss for more money. Who hasn't done that in their lifetime? So ask away b/c the worst they can do is say 'no'. Also, it shows the confidence you have in yourself and that's a good thing.

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger lenin said...

You need a raise

3:09 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

good for you... the amount of work you do at work and at home you deserve 10k minimum.

I gots my fingers crossed for ya ali

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home