Saturday, January 13, 2007

I Can't Possibly Be Expected to Be Productive Now...

It's still freezing, I'm still in my jammies, the husband is now sleeping, I am looking around my rather messy apartment in despair knowing that the sooner I start cleaning the sooner it will be over, but I just don't feel prepared to tackle it yet.
Why don't I feel prepared you might ask? Sigh, well if you must know, my coffee situation is just not up to par today.

Every morning I get up and have a whole routine that I follow when getting ready for work. On the weekends that routine varies, but one thing always remains the same. Having coffee. Not just coffee, but coffee prepared in such a way and with such ingredients that, if prepared correctly, can determine how productive my entire day will be.

Last night as I crawled into bed I realized that I forgot to buy half and half. Boo. That is the first major no-no when it comes to a good cup of coffee (in my opinion of course). That kind of stupid things drives me crazy - I drove by 25 stores today, and even convenience stores carry it, but I was being dumb and forgot to stop in and grab some.

This morning I woke up to sounds of the husband getting home from work but decided to stay in bed a couple more hours while he slept too. I always sleep better when he's home; I feel more safe - plus, he's like a furnace and I'm always cold!

Anyways, as I'm lying there realizing that he started snoring 30 seconds after his head hit the pillow and that I'm not going to be going back to sleep anytime soon - a lightning bolt hits me!
Reggie posted this a while ago - listing his favourite things to put in coffee, in order of preference. And I distinctly remember him saying that he put evaporated milk above half and half.

I jumped out of bed, pulled on my slippers and made a beeline for the kitchen. Sure enough, I found a can of evaporated milk buried in my baking cupboard.
I excitedly made a pot of coffee (silently cursing Reggie that if I turned out liking this more than half and half then I would probably start using it daily, and that it probably had 50 times more calories) and very impatiently waited the 2 minutes it takes my coffee pot to make coffee.
I poured the first cup and added the evaporated milk, brought the cup to my lips, and...yuck! I was greeted with the most hideous blend of baking tastes, coffee and sugar my poor body has ever been subjected to.
Of course, I took a couple more sips just to see if it would grow on me - but to my dismay (and happiness) - it did not.
So now I'm sitting here, choking down a cup of coffee with regular old milk, and it just doesn't do the trick. I need my half and half. But I don't think the people at the Mac's down the street would be too thrilled seeing me walk through the door in my jammies, greasy hair, huge winter boots, flasher-like winter coat and wearing no makeup.

In light of that I don't know if I will be able to clean today or not. Without the proper coffee required to do a good job, I just don't see how anyone can expect me to clean in any sort of acceptable way.

*Reggie, I am thrilled that evaporated milk does the trick for you in your coffee - right about now I'm wishing that I liked it as much as you. Please don't be offended at my description of how much I despise it...I still like you - very much! ;)

12 Comments:

Blogger j.k.a said...

coffee is sacred.

hubby laughs as I carefully mix in hot chocolate powder with a tiny bit of sugar and cream to make my own mochas, and he was downright weirded out the time I used eggnog as creamer cause we were out... ( it was actually really good! it was like one of those fancy lattes...mmmm...)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Hey...cars NEED fuel or they don't run...

Same principal here :0)

12:59 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Heeeeey! I am insulted. Was it Carnation, milk from contented cows with vitamin D?f

Don't get Zig started, he'll brag about black coffee.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

jka - coffee IS a sacred thing, and on top of that I'm a fairly picky person when it comes to food. So it's easy to throw me off my game.

Logziella - thank you for your understanding, and I agree. ;-)

Reggie - I didn't mean to insult you, maybe you should think of it as a compliment that remembering something you said caused me to bolt staight up in bed! In a happy, excited, get me ready for the day kind of way...
And yes, Zig does tend to be a bragger when it comes to the black coffee department.

7:47 PM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I'm not so much a bragger as a promoter... see, if you like it black you NEVER need to worry about running out of whatever you need to put in it. I'm not even going to mention the sacrilege of adding to your coffee... all I'm going to say is life is easier when things are simple.. and that includes black coffee... ahhh simple, pure, and delicious!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Zig, you bragger, I hate to break it to you - but...black coffee tastes like ass.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Amos said...

Hmmm, now that is something that I don't believe I will ever like, coffee, tastes like muddy dirty water to me. I wish I could like it, cause all of you have so much joy drinking it or going to McD's to get it, but nope, it just won't grow on me. I like milk. Yep, just plain ole milk, and water. I guess that calls me boring. Hope your coffee gets better tomorrow and your apt. finds a way to get clean on its own.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Hey Amos, at least you're drinking something that is good for you! Do you drink milk in the morning when you get up too - as a wake up thing? I realize there is no caffeine, but is it part of your routine?
My coffee situation should be much better tomorrow, as the husband braved the cold a while ago and got me some half and half.
I really hope that my apartment is clean when I get up - but I'm guessing it's not going to work out that way - here's hoping!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Black coffee just ain't happening. It is like eating cake without sugar. It could be done but why bother.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

James, since it's Sunday evening here now I guess I should give you an update. My coffee today was delicious (I love tea too, by the way) and I did get a little bit of cleaning done - nowhere near what I needed to, but some.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Peach Pod said...

I'm going to share a secret with you. I tried the evaporated milk thing when I was visiting Reg. I'm with you. Its gross. I put milk in my coffee when I'm there. BTW, I like creamer or 1/2 and 1/2.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Wooo hooo! THANK you Peach Pod. I'm glad you're backing me up on this!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home