Sunday, January 14, 2007

Oh Brother

My little brother is quickly turning into one of my favourite people in the world. Of course - he always was since we're siblings and all - but he's now becoming one because of the person he is turning into.

I was an only child until I was twelve, when the brother made his first appearance into the world. He came into my life just when I was becoming that "brimming with attitude nightmare" that most girls turn into around that age.

I was mean to him when he was young, probably because I ended up resenting him a little - being the perfect age to babysit meant that I had him a lot. When he was a toddler he used to beg me to take him with me when I went out, to which I was always very snotty - who needs a kid tagging along when they're hanging out with friends? And yet, he has always loved me unconditionally, even when he was too young to talk. I remember him being 3 years old and yelling at my parents to "leave my sister alone" when we were fighting.

If I was going through some sort of teenage earth-shattering experience, he would intuitively know that something was wrong. He would climb up on the couch and tell me everything would be okay - and he would hug and soothe me like he was an adult.

He turned 14 in July and is now in high school (grade 9). He's making awesome grades, plays sports, has a little girlfriend who he just bought flowers for last time I was at home, and the best part is that he tells me everything. He's the exact opposite of how I was as a teenager. I would lie to save myself from getting into trouble for 5 minutes, whereas he will try to lie and then break down and tell you the truth 2 minutes later because he feels badly for lying.

Now when I'm home in Ontario or he comes into the city with my parents we have a blast together. We are always really silly, we wrestle and tease and laugh hysterically - I can't believe how much fun he is to hang out with. This past year he has shot up about 6 inches, has lost his baby fat, grown his hair into this shaggy mop (which I tease him relentlessly about - in fact, his Christmas present to me was to get it trimmed) and has turned into this cute, funny, smart and thoughtful teenager. I realize that I sound like his mother, but in a way, I feel like I am.

Now I wish we could have been closer in age so that I could have spent more time with him when he was becoming this cool person.

8 Comments:

Blogger mr zig said...

It's totally awesome that you have a relationship like that with your brother!

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how he doesn't have your temper though..lol

4:31 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Hrmph - best be careful there "husband" or you'll be getting a dose of that temper.

Mwah*

8:14 AM  
Blogger j.k.a said...

Awww! That sounds so much like one of my younger brothers ( I have four!)....he's going to university now, but always invites me to hang out with him and his friends, and he comes over with his girlfriend at least once a week just to hang out. We are even closer than we ever were growing up and I'm SO proud of him I can hardly stand it.

my sister and I however still fight over the silliest things. not much has changed there since were were five....lol

10:36 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

sounds just like me and my brother. We are 10 years apart and we are the only siblings. He followed me all over when he was little and I was just trying to be with my friends. But now we have a great relationship and I am sure always will.

That was a nice post Ali!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Great post! And great to hear from “husband”.

My oldest sister is 11 years older than me (not Judy). When I was 6, she was off to college. Then she got married and moved away to another state.

Naturally Judy and I were closer.

When my older sister retired a few years ago we spent lost of time together making up for the lost years. I have cherished our senior time together.

Judy and I have bonded so well again on our St Croix trip.

And my mother is so cool at 83. When I was young, 83 was dead. My mother is so cute and so alive. She’ll out live me I know.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Domestic Diva said...

That is cool to have a sibling like that. I have 7 siblings and I much prefer Amos, Logziella, etc. to them, not that they are terrible people, just we have nothing in common except our parents.

Keep up that good relationship with your bro...

9:17 PM  
Blogger Amos said...

I agree with the Guru. I am the youngest of 11, and have good relationships with some of my sibs but not all. And being an Aunt at age 7, I am closer to my 17 nieces and nephews. Wow, that might blow your brain!

What a great story, and great thing for you and the bro!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home