Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Best Coffee Cup Ever

The cup to the left is one that has been in my family for generations...actually it's been at my parents house since 1987.
That was the year my dad bought a new Stihl powersaw. This cup and 5 matching ones were his free gift for buying the powersaw, wow, I know.
They are this gorgeous bone coloured plastic and as you can see have the Stihl slogan and powersaw picture on them. Absolutely stunning.
I started drinking coffee at a very young age so when my dad got these cups I though they were great because I was allowed to use them - it's much more difficult to break plastic.
My mom is absolutely appaled by these cups and has tried on numerous occassions to throw them out or "misplace" them. Each time my dad and I protest and have hissy-fits and she finally relents and puts them back in the cupboard.
There are now only 3 remaining at my parent's house and I have one at my house. When I left for college when I was 18, my dad made a big ceremony out of giving me one "if I took good care of it" to take with me and have as my own. You wouldn't believe how that stupid cup made me feel better when I was homesick and 23 hours away from home.
It's very difficult to pinpoint exactly why my dad and I love these cups so much - I mean they're plastic, they're beige, they have a powersaw on the side - and believe me, deep down I know how ugly they really are.
It's silly, but when I drink coffee from my cup like this (as I am right now) or when I'm at my parents and I walk into the kitchen in the morning and my dad has two cups poured with fresh coffee for us, it's like a bonding thing between us.
My dad and I are extremely close and we are always on the same side of the table if there is some sort of family argument or decision making going on.
As ridiculous as it seems, I'm sure that when I finally have babies of my own and we go down to my parents house - my kids are going to want to drink out of the "Powersaw Cups" too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Two things. I didn’t know you had hissy fits. I thought that was a southern thing. We pitch a hissy fit here. Do you also pitch a conniption fit? That is one step up from a hissy fit.

We drink from an old set of WBT-AM Charlottes Morning News mugs. I got a case of them from some promotion 15 years ago. I have some at work, home and in the RV. Gigi calls anything else a demitasse.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I have been know to throw a hissy fit or two, maybe even a conniption fit if I'm really ticked. They are more random and far between though.
What is the appeal for you to drink out of your old Charlotte Morning News mugs instead of a newer, fancier model?

1:52 PM  
Blogger Logzie said...

I LOVE it! That's a great story and it sounds like you and your Dad have a GREAT relationship! I think you ought to keep those mugs in your family for ever...I mean put them in your will...maybe even design dinnerwear with that same logo! Ha!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

They are big old hefty mugs and its tradition. It was the way coffee was meant to be drunk woman! Like your plastic mug.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home