Monday, October 26, 2009

Let's Try This Again, Shall We?

Because I tend to do laundry at night, I nearly always go to bed with one load washing and another drying. Then when I get up in the morning I'm usually trying to be quiet, so I don't go in the laundry room unless I absolutely have to.

Then evening rolls around, I think something along the lines of "Hmm, I wonder where my new jeans are?" and I get smacked in the face with the realization that I've had a load of laundry sitting wet in the washing machine for somewhere around 20 hours. Eeew.

Usually I dump in more detergent, crank it on again, and rewash everything. Generally this works.

However, there are times that I've forgotten a load of laundry for longer. OR, that I leave a load of towels, which, for some reason, seem to hold smell more than regular clothes. OR, it's that time of summer when the water has that faint smell of algae, and the clothes never smell as fresh. That's bizarre I know, since I live in a city, but I notice it every year....trust me.

I have done all of those - forgotten towels, for a lengthy period of time, while the water was infested with algae stink...and in fact, have combined the three. And try as I might, I cannot get that mild stink out of those towels. I've slowly been tossing them out here and there, when I notice one smells particularly awful, or when the mood strikes me to pitch stuff, but still there were some hanging around.

Until yesterday.

Over the weekend I tried to do the same load of laundry three times. As in, forgot a big load of towels THREE times over the course of 48 hours. There's just no going back from that.

I informed the household that I wasn't even wasting the hydro to dry them and proceeded to put them all into a bag, carry the 47 pound mess of dripping wet cotton to the dumpster, and heave it in.

Then today I went and bought six enormous, fluffy, beautiful towels. Tonight I came home and threw them in the wash. So, we'll see how this goes...though, judging by the fact that I only remembered they were in the washer at all is because I decided to write this post, doesn't bode well for their life expectancy...

8 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

Our collection of towels just seems to grow over the years. Our oldest are probably 20 years old and now get used for the dog!

Hope you are kind to there new towels!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Gigi has a way of making stinky forgotten towels smell good again. I think she has a load in the washer going bad just now.

Our old towels are saved for the dogs and are used until light passes through.

Gigi just told me she soaks her towels in Odo-ban.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I have a note card that says "cycle Wash". When I have a load in, I just open the kitchen drawer and lay my note on the counter so I will see it and remember. As soon as it is all done, I put my note back in the drawer until next time. It works for me!

2:16 PM  
Blogger James said...

ha with 7 people in the house (8 when Big Son is home from uni) we wash about 3 loads a day just to keep up. We budget for a new washing machine every year so we always have the money ready to replace it within 24 hours when it goes kaput (sometimes I can repair it myself)
So nothing gets the chance to lay wet in that sucker for more than a couple of hours.
So your answer is Ali- YOU NEED SEVERAL MORE KIDS!!! to help you remember.

1:13 PM  
Blogger James said...

...or you could try Judy's option. Might be cheaper..

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi cool channel, would you like to check out my networking blog to pick your favourite?

Which is the most popular Twitter, Facebook or Myspace?
http://facebookinhere.blogspot.com

Thanks x el x

2:59 PM  
Anonymous eleanor said...

hi cool channel, would you like to check out my networking blog to pick your favourite?

Which is the most popular Twitter, Facebook or Myspace?
http://facebookinhere.blogspot.com

Thanks x el x

2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi cool site! please visit my blog and leave your choice of...

Which is best Facebook, twitter or myspace

http://facebookinhere.blogspot.com

Thank u x

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home