Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Slob City

You guys know my deal - I work downtown, in the heart of Winnipeg, am an editor at a publishing house - and I'm 29. Most people would agree, that's pretty much "grown up."

During my commute, amidst my dancing and singing, I look around at the other people in the vehicles. My guess is that about 90% of those people are business people, heading to their downtown offices. These people are in business attire.

When I park my car and begin the five minute trek to my office, I often end up walking with a bunch of other worker ants. These people are also in business attire.

Thursday I wore a pair of jeans, a cute little shirt, flip flops and straightened my hair.

Friday it was chilly out, so I wore flip flops, new jeans - but they were made to look lived in, so they have a few "worn" patches and tiny rips in them, an AC/DC sweatshirt, silver hoop earrings and my hair in a ponytail.

Yesterday I wore jeans, flip flops, an old shirt that was once cute and my hair in a big mess of curls.

Anyone noticing a pattern here?

Like maybe I dress like a slob? Maybe I should be putting a little more effort into what I wear?

The fact is, even when I say I look like I just crawled out of a ditch, I generally don't look that bad - it's more that I look casual...extremely, extremely casual. But man, walking to work with all those "businessy" people, or going out for lunch with someone in a suit makes you notice how slobby you really are.

I used to get offended when people asked me what I did for a living and then when I'd respond they'd look at me and say "Really?! An editor?!?" I'm beginning to realize that maybe it's because I look more like someone who runs the till at 7/11.

Perhaps I should work on my "work look."

9 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

AC/DC sweatshirt and ripped jeans? Sounds like a great look to me! But maybe I just like the slob look, eh? I mean, who wants to get all trussed up in a suit with immaculate hair etc if they don't have to?

I am in jeans, tennis shirt (I sometimes wear Mr Men t-shirts), crocs and may usual messy hair...

3:32 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Guys don't have cute shirts. What is a cute shirt?

5:10 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Wreggie - I assume that a cute shirt is one that cuts in at the waist and shows a bit of cleavage.

Only gay guys get to wear them.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Rock Chef - See? The two of us would look fine going for lunch together! We'd match! lol

Wreggie - See Rock Chef's description of a cute shirt, it's pretty much bang on :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

You guys are crazy. Good description.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Ali - Sounds great - if we ever do lunch we will have to go MEGA casual :-)

Wreggie - Crazy? I guess so, crazy and happy.

7:35 AM  
Blogger terri said...

Your look sounds much like my look. When I tell people my title is Executive Account Manager, the next question tends to be, "And you get to dress like that for work?" What can I say. We are a casual company. I'm just going with the norm here.

10:53 AM  
Blogger cmacc said...

Trust me. Those of us that are forced to go all "business casual disguised as pretty much all dressed up" LONG to be in flip flops and jeans. I sometimes wear jeans to work and have my excuse of "possible heavy lifting" ready if anyone should ask. Jealous. Me.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

i think jeans and flip flops are a sexy look for a girl..

but then again maybe sexy isnt what your going for...

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home