Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Middle of the Night Conversation

*Just as a pre-cursor, the husband finally went to the doctor about his snoring, and has been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. So now you guys all know I wasn't exaggerating when I was always complaining about his snoring.
Anyways, he now has a machine that helps him breathe at night, which has a water reservoir that needs to be filled, and comes complete with a Darth Vader-esque face mask he has to wear.

About 2am, I roll over and notice that he's sitting up on the side of the bed.

Ali: Chris? Are you okay?
Husband: Yeah…
What are you doing?
I’m just…nothing.
Do you feel okay?
Yeah.
Okaaaaay.

I lay back down but keep staring at his back curiously.
I just need to get some water for my machine.
What? Didn’t you just fill it up tonight?
Nope.
Oh, okay then.

I know I saw him filling it up earlier in the evening – I’m beginning to realize that something is up, or else he’s still sleeping.
So are you going to go fill it?
Nope.
He reaches over and picks up the Darth Vader part of the mask, and puts it on the very edge of his pillow, then lays down beside me.
I keep watching him because I know there’s something going on.
Okay, I’m going back to sleep then, kay?
Okay.
A few moments pass and I start to drift off again.
I thought there was a spider on it.
What?!!?

All I heard was spider so I immediately started to panic.
On my mask. I dreamed there was a spider on it.
I start laughing softly.

So that’s why you took it off? You didn’t need water, did you?
Nope. But I was embarrassed to tell you…
Laughing.

Oh Chris, it’s fine, you were dreaming. I think you’re still asleep.
Yeah, okay.

About an hour later I turned over again and he was finally putting it back on. Guess he decided the spider was gone.

8 Comments:

Blogger terri said...

Awww... poor Chris! Who could blame him for freaking out over the possibility of a spider on his mask? It's sweet that he admitted it to you!

(p.s. Tell him spiders are afraid of Darth Vader.)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

I guess the mask saved him - without it the spider would have been on his face!

But needing a mask at night? Can they do anything permanant to sort it out?

3:16 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I have a friend that had the sleep test and the doc said he woke up 310 times while sleeping.

Uncle JR. in the Sopranos wore one of those. Tony walked in early one morning and said, "Hey uncle June, how many Migs did you shoot down last night?"

I died laughing.

I hope you both can get some sweet sleep.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

LOL, yeah I was embarrassed.
I actually thought the spider was on my lampshade - which was even further away from my face!


I hope I can get that cool laser surgery, so I can retire my Top Gun mask.

Can you start calling me Maverick?

9:56 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Ok, Maverick! Hope you get the surgery, even though it will mean the end of Ali's hilarious posts about kicking you to stop you snoring!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

Oh man your husband is soooo adorable.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kyla Roma said...

Aw! That's so cute, poor guy! <3

3:18 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

I sooooooo get this. My DH had one for a month.It was a weird month and your right. It is like sleeping with the Darth himself LOL...
Tip* Make sure you are nowhere near the long lead. One night I woke up with it tangled around me and the mask hissing in the middle of us LOL...

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home