Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Am I Getting Too Old For This?

I'm 29.

I know, I know - 29 isn't old. Believe me, no matter how much I bitch and moan about it, I realize that I'm still on the young side.

I've said before that I don't plan on being old till I'm dead, and I firmly believe that.

But I've started to wonder, am I getting too old for certain things?

Things like sleepovers, and pigtails, and drinking pretend wine (sparkling apple juice) from a real wine glass...those sorts of things.

Am I now one of those people that people will look at now and say "She's too old to be wearing a skirt that short!" or "I can see her bra strap peeking out from under her shirt, I thought it was only 16 year-olds that did that..."

I've been talking this over with a couple people, and I honestly don't know.

But the one thing that I'm wondering about - the one thing that will break my heart to have to give up because I'm "too old" - is the flowers I wear tucked behind my ears in the summer.
I don't do it every day, but I adore wearing them. It makes me feel summery, and flirty, and youthful and happy. The idea of being too old to do it genuinely makes me sad, but I wonder if it makes me look ridiculous.

But really, being the person that I am, and never really caring much for what other people might think is ridiculous about me, I guess I don't really care.

Yeah, you know what? As I've sat here reading this over, I really don't care! Flowers are me and they make me happy, so I'm wearing them. And that is that.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Gariepy said...

I'm turning 29 in less than a week and finally I am at a point in my life where I feel comfortable enough in and with myself to do anything and everything I want, not needing to conform or fit into boxes. That, to me, is one of the coolest things about getting older.

Sparkling cider in wine glasses, sleepovers and pigtails (well, I prefer braids), CHECK. The flower is awesome, it is beautiful and feminine, keep it. Be happy. Happiness is the most important thing you wear, and the people who matter will see that before anything else.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Age is all about attitude! I know young 75 year olds (my FIL for example). I also know old 16 year olds!

Around Canterbury (which has got 3 universities) people of all ages dress in all sorts of ways. I love it.

The flower is super cute, wear it with pride. And pigtails? If I was in charge it would be the law that ALL women had to wear them :-)

3:35 AM  
Blogger terri said...

I am LOTS older than you and I still wear short skirts and still wear tanks with my bra straps peeking out.

And you know what? I don't care either!

In my eyes, you're going to be one of those eternally youthful people. Embrace it!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

OK I'm totally up for a sleepover at your place whenever you invite me!
And I love the flowery thing - don't change it!
xo

8:25 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I like the flowers and the pigtails.
I think it helps keep me feel a bit younger too!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Advice from an "older" woman... but I am not THAT old!
If you still have the body to show off, wear your mini skirts and shirts that show a bit of skin. Be proud of what you have. By all means, wear flowers! It shows a streak of individuality and non-conformist.
Do Not, I repeat, DO NOT wear these if your belly cascades over the waistband, and the mini does not cover all of your behind.
I say this in jest... as I can see you are NOT a large woman trying to fit into a size 4.
I see this fashion (ACK!) disaster at least once a day in our shop, more during the summer. *shudder!*

2:46 PM  
Blogger James said...

Hey if I had hair enough left to hold a flower I would wear one myself just to celebrate.
It looks cool keep doing it TWM

4:06 PM  
Blogger Slyde said...

im up for a sleepover at your place too.. name the night.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous zack said...

I don't think you're too old for the flower! I like it! - Hm... I wonder if I would feel younger wearing a flower. - Guess not, I might just feel awkward! but, hey i'm a guy! that might be why! - Anyway, the flower is nice :)

9:09 AM  
Anonymous zack said...

oh, and when I say "nice" it's a good thing. Some people think nice means "oh, that's nice" as in like - hmm.. whatever... But I mean nice as good thing :) - as in pleasant, etc - just clarifying - you know...

9:20 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

I'v been 29 for years.....I always say you are only as old as you feel....LOL..

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home