Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You Got a Burger to go With That Shake?!?!

Outside my office building there is currently a construction crew ripping up the avenue and back lanes. The whole process is supposed to take about 4 weeks, with only 1 down so far, and apparently it will result in smoother driving surfaces and a nicer parking lot. Not that I drive on that particular surface, or park in that lot, but no matter.
Every morning (and lunch hour, and evening) there are a whack of guys outside - some working, some smoking, some standing - but all looking. At everyone. Or more precisely, at every woman. So far I haven't actually heard any whistles, or comments, but they don't even try to hide the fact that they're checking you out. They very blatantly stare, craning their necks as you pass, and pretty much watch till you're at your destination.
I've decided that the guys sitting in the trucks, waiting for the holds to be filled up have the best job. They literally just get to hang out in the cab, listening to music and watching the passers-by, then every few hours they drive somewhere and drop all the old asphalt off.
If I ever become a construction worker I'm going to try my damnedest to get the truck job. And I'm going to ogle and whistle in appreciation aaaaallllllll day.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

I know a guy who got fired from a job like that for NOT oggling women that walked past, he just worked hard all day. They said he was bringing the profession into repute! :-)

3:51 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Those days don't last forever. Enjoy it. There will come a day that they will not pay any attention to you.

7:43 AM  
Blogger terri said...

Get paid to people watch? I could handle that job!

8:17 AM  
Blogger cmacc said...

Or you could be the girl I drove past this morning who got the distinct pleasure of holding the SLOW sign. She whiled away her morning by typing on her blackberry. Something tells me this is not a career for her.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

a "whack" of guys? is that like a gaggle of geese?

10:11 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Slyde - I had missed that! What a great collective name for guys!

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home