Tuesday, August 05, 2008

And The Lifelong Love of All Things Sparkly Begins

I had a fairly uneventful long weekend, though really, a long weekend is barely noticeable when you're on maternity leave...every day is sort of a weekend day.

Anyways, the husband was working nights, so he was sleeping during the day, and Ellery and I were just trying to be quiet enough not to disturb him. We went shopping, and for walks, and drives, anything to pass the time till we could be noisy again.

So yesterday in the late afternoon when husband got up, we decided to get out of the house for awhile and noticed that the mall was open. I didn't think anything was ever open on the civic holiday here, but apparently I was just out of the loop.

We went to Ben Moss jewellers first, so I could drop off my wedding ring to get the claws fixed. I had bent 2 claws (I bend at least one a year) and to me the centre diamond actually looked crooked, so I figured I'd better get it done quick!

Then we continued on down to People's jewellers, because I had heard they pierced ears there. We were informed that yes, they did do it there, but the flustered older woman working said to come back on Tuesday instead to get it done. As we were walking out, husband stopped to ask the other guy how much it cost. He explained that all you had to do was pay for the price of the earrings you picked, and that the piercing was free. We decided to go look at their selection, and decided that we'd come back eventually to get Ellery's ears pierced.

Our whole original plan was to get them pierced when she was 3 months old (which she's not yet), and then I figured I wouldn't be able to go through with it, and would probably end up waiting till 6 months or maybe even later.

But when the guy found out we were going to do it another time he started fast talking about how he loved to pierce baby's ears, and that it was easier (for the squirm factor) when they were smaller, and totally convinced me that we should get it done then. So I turned to the husband and said "Should we just get it done now?" and then he got all mushy and started thinking maybe we shouldn't, and that we should wait...I tell you, it's a whole lot harder to do when you're looking at your happy baby with her itty bitty earlobes, thinking that you're going to be punching holes in them.

But I finally just decided to get it over with, so I sat down with her on my lap, and in 5 minutes it was all over. She yelled with the first one, then screamed with the second, but about 45 seconds later she was happy again.

And as if she wasn't cute enough before, she's freaking adorable now, with her sparkly new pair of diamond and gold studs. And I swear, she was actually batting her eyes at the guy once it was all over, and he kept smiling at her and telling her she was a beautiful baby girl - what have I started? lol

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're in trouble! She's already flirting, LOL!

My baby is 15 now. I never had the nerve to pierce her ears as a baby and she's not the least interested in the pain or inconvenience now.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Argh, you are so brave! We held off until they could ask for it to be done themselves!

Looks very pretty, though, I must say.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Lets see....you buy something and they punch holes in you for free? Sounds like a deal.

I would have thought this would be cruelty.

She does look all girly.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Ali~
We pierced both of our girl's ears when they were Ellery's age too and I have always heard it's way better b/c they won't be tugging at them if you did it later. Neither of mine had any problems...never touched them...no infections or anything. Kenzie had her immunizations a couple weeks after her having her ears done and she cried more for the shots than she did for the ears. So don't feel bad.

They look soooo sweet!! :)

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a two year old daughter and I haven't been able to do it - My plan is to not mention it, and when she discovers that people do it we'll talk about it then... but for now, I don't think I'll do it! Seems crazy to me! (even though your daughter looks cute)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Now that is prett cute...I had my ears pierced when I was 6 weeks...

I had flossy done at 22 months....Better younger then older I say.....

We need more photos but....LMAO....

She's adorable....

xoxox

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, she was already adorable, I must admit that I have always liked earrings in little girls..

Your brave..lol...
Try not to sweat too much! It's supposed to snow around here on Sunday!
Hugs,
Lesley

10:38 PM  
Blogger Dodi said...

Welcome to the world of pretty, shiny things! Dress up clothes, shoes, purses... all await you for this wonderous adventure of being mommy to an exquisite little girl!

Brave of you to get her ears done. But, I have to say, I made my oldest wait until she was 6, and it would have been so much easier to do it when she was a baby. The drama! The infections! The screeching when we changed the earrings! And now? It's all about shopping for earrings and the outfits to compliment said earrings.

$$$$!

2:43 AM  
Blogger tz said...

oh, if I ever had a girl I would so have her ears pierced...it's so darn cute!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Tryphyna said...

My mom got my ears done when I was pretty young too. I wanted to get my son's done, but the hubs wouldn't hear of it!

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home