Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Surprise! I'm in Dial-Up Land!

Yeah, I'm here again, in the Land of Dial-Up.

FYI - I'll be here a lot this summer, but I'll try to be better about posting while I'm here. I know I've said this before, but slow internet sucks. The big one.

Ellery and I have just been hanging out around town, doing some visiting, laying in the sunshine, sleeping, talking, and going for walks. Not too exciting, but damn near perfection for lazy summer days of the unemployed.

Husband is making his way here tomorrow to spend an extra long weekend with us, and to squeeze in some family time before we all head back to the city on Sunday.

I've been around some of my extended family quite a bit over the past few days, and I've made some observations...

1. My grandma can not accept anything for fact until she sees it with her own eyes - even if 14 of us swear it to be true. But then when she does see it, she'll tell everyone all about it, as if she was the first to know, and is doing us all a favour by telling.

2. My grandpa doesn't believe anything my grandma tells him. But if my mom or I tell him the same thing, he says "Oh really? Huh, I didn't know that," and then my grandma will roll her eyes behind his back and whisper to us later that she's been telling him that for ages.

3. My one uncle really and truly is a shit disturber.

4. One of my aunts and her husband (aka - the shit disturber) may be gambling addicts. The weird part about that is that they don't have any money, nor have they ever made any as far as I know.

5. I caught my dad whispering to Ellery the other day all the things that he's going to teach her as she grows up. The cutest and most hilarious thing I heard him say to her? "My girl, when you're a little older grandpa is going to teach you how to fight off the boys - we don't want them hanging around you. You're going to be a tough little girl. Did you know your mom is a tough little girl too? Yep, she's small, but did you know she can beat up your uncle Matthew? You're going to be tough, just like your mom."
Then he went on to explain to her the techniques of a good punch.
Whatever, as long as she keeps the boys away :)

6. My cousin Kevin looks like Peter Griffin from Family Guy...he even wears the white shirt.

13 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

I love your dad's little chat with Ellery - I am sure he had similar chats with you!

Your Grandma and Grandpa sound like a great pair.

Dial up or not, it is your duty to keep in touch with us out here! :-)

3:12 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I’m glad you posted. I was about to send you an email to check up.

So, no way grandma believes men landed on the moon?

What is a shit disturber? Is he gay? Is this some Canadian or young person vernacular I’m not aware of?

I understand your father. The things that go through a man’s mind will make a man do anything to protect his little females that he loves.

Men are crazy creatures aren’t they?

5:15 AM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Ali- can your Dad teach me how to punch properly?

Reggie - A shit disturber is someone who likes to "stir things up" - someone who will go out of their way to create drama and conflict between other people.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Oh.

Hell, I have several world class shit disturbers on my wife's side of the family.

8:44 AM  
Blogger James said...

I love reading about all your family Ali it is kind of like the Waltons but in a good way.
Your blog is so crazy these days like when your dad shot the creature that was hiding in the car engine...you couldn't make it up.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't famiies fun? Sometimes I think it's a good thing we are related to them, otherwise we'd never bother to hang out with them because they drive us nuts.

6:03 PM  
Blogger James said...

PS : I fake all my orgasms Laundry Fairy has no idea.....

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Rock Chef - I'll try, really I will!

Reggie - LOL!!!! Only you would put the "shit disturber" and gay thing together :) And I'm sure we all have several of them in our midsts.

Princess - I can teach you how to punch properly! I've got it down to an art form...

James - If you only knew the half of what my family is really like :) and I've been trying to email you but it never goes through - what's up with that?
And oh my God! LOL - you fake orgasms? Um...there should be this little thing called "evidence" to prove yours weren't...so, uh, yeah - and wait! You have like 6 kids!!! They can't have all been fake :) hehe.

Terri - They're all nuts. Every single one of them. And I probably wouldn't hang out with any of them if we weren't related, you're right. But I'm glad I am.

10:52 PM  
Blogger James said...

Truthful Warrior Maiden my email has changed sorry I will send you a mail.(soon as I have browsed some blogs)

12:59 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

James - Wasn't that in one of the Naked Gun movies? Leslie Nielsen telling Priscilla Presley that he had faked all the time?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have dial-up.. So slowwwwww!
I'm glad you've got to enjoy this time with your family... I hope you took plenty of pics..
Hugs,
Lesley

11:17 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

PMSL...A shit disturber...I love it !

Have missed you guy's so much....

xoxox

7:06 PM  
Blogger tz said...

Families are great! I think we all have great characters to write about..and those who read about them feel right at home because they remind us of the characters in our own families...

love the conversation with your dad.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home