Wednesday, July 30, 2008

People Actually Went to School for Journalism to End Up Writing About Crap Like This...

Jordin Sparks, the latest American Idol winner, has made a chastity vow. A public chastity vow. Like the entire world needs to know when she plans on getting it on for the first time. Puh-lease. And she's wearing a purity ring to remind her of her vow not to have sex until she's married.

Apparently so are the Jonas Brothers. I don't really know who they are, but they appear to be this generation's version of the Hanson Brothers - three teen brothers singing songs well beyond their scope of experience. They too, are wearing purity rings to remind them of their vows.

And then there is Miley Cyrus. Who is also wearing a purity ring as a reminder. And who I would bet about a million bucks will NOT still be a virgin when she gets married. I don't really think the others will be either, but she definitely won't be. This 15 year has been surrounded by scandals in the past few months, most centering around "inappropriate" photos. And now some condom company wants her to endorse their product! *snort* Sounds like little Miley may be heading out of Purityville pretty quickly.


Here's the thing boys and girls, if you want to save yourself for marriage, then great - fantastic even. But please don't feel the need to tell the world about your plans to do so.


First of all, it's lame. I mean, who cares? That's your business.


Second of all, if anyone so much as
sees you with a member of the opposite sex, you know the tabloids are going to be all over your ass about breaking your vows, even if you haven't.

Third of all, if you need a purity ring to remind you that you want to remain a virgin until marriage, then you can't be very strong in your convictions. That should be something your brain tells you before you ever get to the point of needing a reminder.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

Well I guess those rings do have a purpose - if you are out on the town with only one thing in mind, don't bother hitting on the ones with the purity rings!

On the other hand, there will be those who just see the ring as a challenge, so maybe wearing one is an invitation!?!?

I guess guys would always put one on their "little chap". They would never manage it then!

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess those rings are becoming a trend, although I agree with you. Does the world really need to know about it? For celebrities, it's all about whatever keeps them on the front page I guess.

I kind of see it as a move in the right direction. There's been such a huge wave of promiscuity in the past however many years. Maybe the tide can be turned so that it's cool to stay a virgin too.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as admirable as it is for someone to want to stay pure, these people are doing it for publicity and that makes the whole thing crap and takes any honour out of it in my opinion...

8:34 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't caught on with the "Kaballa purity bracelet" yet.
It works better than the ring....

8:56 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I completely agree with everything you said.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm, good intentions...
I agree with you 100% ...
Hope your friday has been a good one and your weekend is even better..
Hugs,
Lesley

1:29 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I respectfully disagree *smile & wink*...

While I do see your point about the popouratzi (or however you spell it! Ha!) and how it will only draw negative attention to them as soon as they are dating anyone, I must say that I think it's awesome that for once people with celebrity status are actually trying to be role models. Like Terri said, there has been an outbreak in teen pregnancy in the recent years and while many of my beliefs about not having sex before marriage are what many would call "religious" you could still take all of the religion out of it and look at it purely factual. Nobody benefits when a teenager is pregnant. I'm sure it's not what that girl's parents really wanted and always hoped for her. Nobody "hopes" for that for their little girl who more than likely has yet to grow up herself. Then she more than likely will forget about college and sometimes even make a double mistake and get married at that young age when the word "commitment" is hardly yet understood by either of them. All of that leads to a very hard road of trying to meet the needs of a baby and being completely selfless and oh yah, just throw marriage in there too...a recipe for disaster and lots of hurt and pain.

So, if these "celebrities" want to take their status of fame seriously and actually do something good and make a stand knowing that many teeny boppers will follow suit that's completely fine by me. More than fine. They earn my respect b/c you are right about the attention that it's going to draw to them by the press as soon as they date.

I just think it's about time that these 'teeny bopper' celebrities start to act like the role models they are.

All that being said, there is no way on God's green earth that I will let my kids watch anything to do with Miley Cyrus. I think it's clear, as you do, that she' the next Olson twins train wreck! Why anyone would encourage their sweet innocent young girl to watch or wear anything to do with Ashley and Mary Kate just baffles me! Is that really the role model you want for your little girl? Not me.

Lastly, I don't agree that you shouldn't need a purity ring to remind you of your convictions...we've all been in a tempting situation atleast once and we all know that emotions and feelings are running high and strong and at that moment you are the most vulnerable and if you can look down at your hand and be reminded of a vow that you take seriously, it just might be the one thing that gives you the strength to walk away from that particular situation. I know this from experience.

So, I am not trying to be rude or anything...you know I totally love you Ali...it's just that I myself am a major advocate of purity rings or anything else that could help stop the teenage pregnancy epidemic and the hurt and pain that it causes.

Just putting my opinion out there...that's all. :0)

7:04 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

Oh Oh Oh...I have a question ...LMAO after 15 years of marriage do I qualify for a purity ring ??

Please do I do I ??...

Cause If I do... this means I wont have to put out anymore PMSL !...

Anyone know where I can buy the ring from LMAO

Oh and as for Miss C...my Ass she is a virgin...but what ever keeps her parents happy hey LMAO !

7:25 AM  
Blogger James said...

I agree with what you said Ali although I also can see Logzie's strong point of view...I guess some folks it will work for and others it will fail miserably for.

(I don't know who Miley Cyrus is)
Sitting in silence what is LMAO and PSML?

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home