Monday, July 07, 2008

Stupidity

Sometimes I wonder if I come off as a particularly stupid person. I mean, I do have a big stupid laugh, I'm immature about 85% of the time, I have my "blond" moments, and occasionally I don't understand something.

But make no mistake, I am one smart cookie.
However, I'm constantly amazed at the way perfect strangers speak to me in such a way that implies I'll only understand if they use short, descriptive words.

I almost expect if from the guys in the garage when I take my car in to have something repaired. Suddenly having one of the belts replaced turns into a list 15 items long, ranging from crap like "new windshield wiper sprocket" to "replacement trans-ducer on the rear carburetor". And these are things that I apparently must have done in order to avoid another, more costly trip to the garage when something really bad happens.

Oh
really? Well why don't you make me a list of everything you just said, and I'll think about it. Then it's "Well really, it's not even safe for you to drive out of here today without at least getting all 10 axles replaced."

Honestly! The way they talk I have to check to make sure I'm not a walking stupidity cliche; playing with my gum, twirling my hair, wearing a tight t-shirt, and cocking my head to the side while nodding in a concerned matter.

I often find too that when people ask me what I do for a living and I tell them I'm an editor, they're surprised. I'm not entirely sure why that is...but then I begin to wonder - is it just me? Do I actually look stupid? Or come across that way in my speech? Or is it because I'm a woman? Do I look too young?

*sigh*

I don't know what caused this outburst - no one has spoken to me like I was stupid in...oh, I don't know...months? Apparently I'm just feeling defensive. Oh, and I'm gearing myself up for my next trip to the garage...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jahooni said...

blonde moments are only those times when we feel less insecure and blame it on the color of our hair!

funny story though.... but coming from a TRUE blonde, well.... all i can say is that, it is true that everyone had a "blonde moment"

i have missed out awhile in your life and OMG your baby is adorable. I knew she would be! ;)~

2:29 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Now then, there is no need to worry your pretty little head with anything like this. Just sit down for a minute and think about teddy bears and flowers while the nice men sort out your car for you, OK sweetie? Would you like a lollypop while you are waiting?

(I have a feeling I am going to pay for this...)

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Rock Chef has me in hysterics! He's being quite cheeky, I'm guessing because he won't be around to take the heat for a couple of weeks!

Anyway, my take on it is this. You are attractive and have a fun personality. Most people assume that means no brains. I guess you're just going to have to make it clear to such people that you are the best of both worlds!

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe its the other people that are stupid, and are not smart enough to realize they are talking to someone smart?

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...to someone smart AND pretty!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Jahooni - I've missed you! And I only used the blond thing by way of example - blonds are brainy!

Rick Chef - As I've said before...it's easy to be a smart-ass 1/2 a world away, lol!!! Good thing I know you married someone like Clare, and know she's an incredibly smart woman :)

Terri - I know! The little bugger :) And hmmm about the rest - guess I'll have to start quoting the encyclopedia - hehe

zack - Lol! Thanks!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Ali - If I said anything like that to Clare while within reach I would have to duck very quickly :-)

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home