Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Ramblings of a Bed-Rester

1. I'm actually getting used to being home and doing nothing. That is just about the saddest thing I've ever admitted, but it's true. The day goes by incredibly fast between naps, the occasional load of laundry, peeing, eating, and nurse visits. Sad, sad, sad.

2. I finally had a sex dream last night - hallelujah! In between the husband snoring, my stomping out of the bedroom, then going back in to kick him out, I squeezed one in sometime between 3 and 6 am, and it wasn't complicated at all (as in: no flying horses, no babysitting, no barns) yay!

3. I can not believe how many solicitation calls we get in a day! And companies call everyday - sometime like three times! I've been trying to ignore them, but as they wake me up more and more often from a nap, I've begun answering in an incredibly bitchy tone, and being about as un-Catholic as I can get. It's not pretty, but some of them have actually quit calling.

4. I miss my family, my dad in particular. I was upset the other day because he hadn't called me, or been home when I'd called for about 3 weeks. But then, like clockwork, the phone rang and the machine picked up and I heard his voice saying "Hi babe, I guess you're not home, but I just wanted to call and say I love you and that I've been thinking about you..." before I got to the phone. We only talked for about 10 minutes, but it made me so happy. I can not wait to see him with the baby in his arms.

5. What do you get your mom for Mother's Day? This has been a yearly struggle for me with my own mom, and of course, now I have to worry about my mother-in-law too. Usually we pick them up big, beautiful plants from a greenhouse since they both love flowers so much, and then they last all summer - but since we haven't been home in ages, I haven't gotten them anything.
I'm always amazed at the commercials where they advertise getting your mom a complete luggage set, or a new set of dinnerware, or a $300 trip to the spa. First of all, I'm not made of money, and second of all - I can't see my mom feeling particularly loved with a new suitcase...but maybe that's just me.

6. Surprise! I'm tired. And hang on...what's that? Oh yes, I hear my bed calling...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No details on the sex dream? (I'm KIDDING, of course!)

We usually get our moms hanging flower baskets. Since that's not going to work for you this year, can you get them a gift card for the garden center?

The solicitors make me crazy and I'm not even home all that much. It makes me wonder how any of the callers can stand to stay in the job between all the ignored calls and all the nasty responses they must get. Someone called to ask if I would participate in a survey a few days ago. (I had to talk to them because one of the kids picked up the phone.) I said I was sorry but I didn't have time. They have been trying back about 3 times each evening in the hopes of getting my response. But I'm onto them now and the kids have been commanded NOT to answer the solicitor calls.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

So not fair....we want details Ali......of your dream LOL....

LOL>....I know I know.......LOL

Can you e-mail me...

danielle.sawyer@bigpond.com

X

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol @ SIS,
Ali, I hope you got a good, solid sleep this time!
Hate those phone calls..I feel sorry for those poor people who have to do that job for a living.
Hugs,
Lesley

1:18 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

My mom is very easy to buy for - plants for her jungle of a garden, or anything to do with animals.

So, do your sex dreams normally involve flying horses and barns?

Glad you caught up with your dad. My wife is really close to her dad and hates it if she doesn't get to catch up a couple of times a week.

Finally, I don't think that it is sad that you are enjoying being at home (apart from the damn phone calls of course!). I think it shows that you are adjusting to your new life.

3:10 AM  
Blogger tz said...

1. When I am at home I want to be doing something else...when I'm doing something else, I want to be at home...I just can't win...so that's great that you can adjust to your circumstances...

2. how great that your dad called at a time when you were missing him...

3. I totally get the barn in a sex dream (particularly if there's a cowboy around -- was that TMI?)..but flying horses????

4. Mother's day....hmmm, this year the kids are painting clay pots, which we will varnish and put some plants in and give them to the grandmothers....and I'm making brunch for both...Mother's day shouldn't be about expensive gifts (birthdays, anniversaries..sure) it's more of a family thing..well in my book...a book I think all should read and follow ;-)

4.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

1. It's not sad that you're getting used to being at home, it's good. You should enjoy it!

2. I'm curious about the details of your sex dream as well

3.Those solicitation calls are darn annoying.

4. It's nice that you and your dad are close.

5. This year we're sending my mom flowers and a card. My husband's mom just gets a card, because his family doesn't really do gifts except at Christmas. Personally, I think it's nice to acknowledge mother's and father's day, but I don't think it's necessary to spend a lot of money to do it.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

As for the callers, I heard a great idea a while ago - try to sell them something back, like a second hand TV or something. That would be a blast!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Terri - details on the sex dream would surely get me into trouble...surely ;)

SIS - I did! Thanks for your address!

Lesley - I know, I feel bad for them too, but sometimes I've just had enough.

Rock Chef - Perhaps you didn't read my blog from last week about the crazy dreams I've been having...there was a quite vivid one about Reggie and Gigi and their flying horses, and shoveling hay in their barn...

TZ - That is a fab idea for the kiddies! I'm sure I'll end up buying the moms both plants once we get home again this summer :)

Laura - I agree, I would much rather spend the day with my mom than fork out cash I don't have.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Thanks for the reminder - I remember that one now!

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home