Friday, April 18, 2008

Bedrest Criteria = Insane Pregnant Chick

Bedrest is defined as 10 hours of "rest" a night, then 5 more peppered throughout the day.

Rest is defined as laying down (sitting doesn't count), preferably on my left side, and anything less than an hour it doesn't even count.

I'm taking my blood pressure 4 times a day with the machine they left here for me, plus the nurse visits for an hour each day where she takes my blood pressure twice more, then uses the doppler to listen to Butterbean's heartbeat, and feel them out to see where they're laying. Then she checks me out for swelling, headaches, vision problems and that sort of fun stuff.

Note: the terms "them" or "their" when referring to the Bean are only used because sometimes it's the only option I've got, short of telling you all what we're having. Rest assured there is one baby in there - I repeat - one baby.

I'm only allowed to stand in the kitchen long enough to make myself toast, or stir soup if I'm feeling really good. I'm not supposed to drive myself anywhere, and in all actuality I'm not supposed to go anywhere.

I can't do any laundry, wash dishes, vacuum, or clean.

Essentially I can eat toast, lay around, sleep, and, um that's about it. And I know, people are like "Why are you whining about that? You can rest and catch up on movies, bad daytime television, reading..." I get it. Believe me. It's not the worst thing that could happen. But just think of a month, laying down, more often than not by yourself. There is only so much tv you can watch, or books you can read before you're going a little crazy.

Anybody feel like taking a little vacation to come hang out with me? You'll have to get yourself a drink, and make me snacks, but whenever you're tired I've got a king size bed you can snuggle up in...any takers?


All right, now that the pity party is over...

Lunch today was great. Have I mentioned before that I love my co-workers? I'll miss everyone, but of course Krista, Zig and James have a very special place in my heart. Love, love, love those three and I'll miss them everyday.

But I feel really bad for Krista - since she's essentially the only girl now she'll have to listen to a lot of dumb "boy talk"...at least she's coming over next week for cheesecake and a visit - yay!

James I might see occasionally since he and the husband hang out once in a while, but I guess I can always make random stops to the office to keep him in line.

Zig I'll still see, since the husband and I hang out with him and Alyssa. And, the Bean will need someone to corrupt, why not Rachel?

*mwahahahaha says a tiny voice from inside my belly*


When I got home from my lunch today the husband had flowers and a card waiting for me, which of course made me cry. Then after we had an awesome steak dinner he went out and rented a whole wackload of movies for me since I'll essentially be on my own the next three days.

I've decided if I can entertain myself for three days on my own, then I should be able to figure out some sort of routine for myself - something to keep the crazy level at a minimum...wish me luck!

7 Comments:

Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

You poor thing...I know what you mean.

For what it's worth, there is this great web site here in Au called.

Essentailbaby.com They have fab forums that you can log into and join a group online. I am pretty sure there is a section on bedrest and a group of mums post about what they do ect...

Just thought it may help you x

Will go and take a look at the link for you and try to post it here x

3:27 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/

X

3:35 AM  
Blogger krista said...

aaahhhh, Ali. ANYTIME you need someone to come stop by let me know. I'd be HAPPY to come hang out with you! Just give me a call! Ricky's supposed to be working out of town (for 2-3 weeks) starting on Tuesday so I'll be all alone too.:( Well Alyssa will be here but I imagine most of the time she'll have better things to do than hang out with her mom!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bedrest definitely sucks! If I still lived in Winnipeg I would totally come hang out with you...of course I realize we don't really know each other, so it might be weird, but I'm sure we'd bond quickly over chocolate and movies! LOL!

Anyway, hope your time goes by quickly. And at least in the end you'll have a wonderful little person to show for all your efforts!

10:03 AM  
Blogger tz said...

so sorry....
I so understand...had bed rest w/ my second son...but because I had a preschooler at home, my movie choices were limited to Toy Story and other disney and pixar classics!

what movies did you pick?
do you want any suggestions from the blogosphere?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

SIS - Thanks! I'll check it out :)

Krista - I may just take you up on that...it's only been three days and I'm already a little crazier than normal.

Laura - I'm sure we would overcome the awkwardness quickly and have a great time!

TZ - So far I've watched Bee Movie, which totally sucked - and Lars and the Real Girl, while though disturbing initially, turned out to be pretty great.

Any suggestions are welcome!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

You should watch:

All 6 Star Wars movies in sequence.

The Lord of the Rings extended edition.

Dodgeball.

Galaxy Quest.

Snakes on a Plane - treat it as a comedy!

Thinking of some more...

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home