Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh, the Joys of Catholicism and Easter

This weekend we're heading home to Ontario for Easter. I am very much looking forward to it. I've seen my little brother for a grand total of about 1.5 hours over the past 2 months or so, and I miss him. Plus, it seems that he has a new girlfriend so I'll need to get all the juicy details on that.
I'm not sure what it means for other religions on Easter weekend, but for Catholics it means church, church and more church. I don't really mind going to church when I'm home, and certainly not on Easter, but Catholics are pretty hard core about this weekend. Besides regular masses there are about four others to go to. The one that gets me every time is doing the stations of the cross - yi. It takes forever - last year even my cute little 80 year old grandma was muttering under her breath for the priest to speed it up.

Then there's the whole reading of The Passion, where at the end you have to go up to the front of the church and kiss the feet of Jesus on this big cross. Between each person the altar servers give it a little swipe to "clean it" before the next person deposits their germs on it. Respectful or not, it's an outdated and unsanitary tradition. Jesus knows I'm thankful for his sacrifice for me, and I seriously doubt that me slobbering on his porcelain feet will do much to solidify that.

So - now that I've just guaranteed my passage into hell...

Hope you guys all have a wonderful Easter - filled with chocolate, and family, and relaxation, and love - and I'll catch you on the flip side...or, you know...Monday.

3 Comments:

Blogger mr zig said...

interesting post. I'm not catholic so I can't say much about that, but being protostant I always thought the catholic church focused too much on tradition. It seems that a lot of what goes on in catholic churches is just tradition and even though the original idea may have been good, doing it just for the sake of doing it is pretty pointless. If you feel Jesus knows your thankful for his sacrafice then that's all good... And in that case I'd have to agree with you that slobbering on porceline feet is pointless...

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stations of the Cross, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, the 2-hour Easter vigil (if you're not going on Easter Sunday instead.) I dreaded Easter as a kid.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Well we had a good fun weekend, hope you didn't catch anything!

The last time I went to an Easter service was when I was about 4 at my grandad's Plymouth Brethren chapel - it was all about hell-fire and brimstone. Great stuff at that age! NOT!!!!

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home