Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Night Terrors...But From What?

For the most part I seem to have gotten over my nightly wake-fests, though they seem to have been replaced with something worse.

The past week or two I've been waking up in complete terror - so much so that I have to scramble out of bed and turn on the light to ensure that there is nothing harmful in the room with me. It's been happening every night at about 3am, and I sit straight up, and though I don't scream, I am completely breathless, heart pounding and in a state of panic.
Of what I have no idea. I can never remember what it it that has me so terrified.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but for about the same time period the husband and I haven't slept an entire night in the same bed. We've both been sick with mild chest infections, so are phlegmy and hacking when we lay down. This makes his snoring unbearable. So, though we start out in the same bed, eventually one of us will plod into the spare bedroom to sleep the rest of the night in solitude.

Usually it takes me about a half hour to calm myself down with the light on, and then I can turn it back off and go back to sleep. Knowing what a suck I am, I actually find it kind of weird that I can turn the light back off and fall back asleep - normally I would have to sleep with it on after waking up so scared.

I have not been eating or drinking anything out of the ordinary, and spicy foods haven't crossed my lips in ages. Besides, usually it's greek food that gives me nightmares, and I haven't had that in months.

I would really, really love to be able to sleep well over the next few months, since I know that uninterrupted nights will soon be a distant memory.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

So long as you don't think that you are going to be "got" by a beanie toy...

10:41 AM  
Blogger cmacc said...

I heard that cheese before bed can cause nightmares. Myth? Dunno. Why don't you try separate beds from the start? Maybe your mind knows that your hubs has left the room and you are now alone with no "protector" but if you start off solo your mind will feel no difference? While you are both sick anyway...just a thought.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Tried something soothing like running water? Hrm, maybe that's not such a good idea since you're doing double-duty with the bladder. :/

11:57 AM  
Blogger Doc said...

Night terrors are no fun... Try some hot tea to soothe your stomach before going to bed.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

John - the Beanie is safely on a shelf in Butterbean's room, tucked in with books and gifts we've already received. So I'm safe from that killer 6 inch moose!

BPM - I would totally do that, but these days if we don't at least try to sleep together I tend to get all weepy...yuck.

Aaron - You're right, I pee about 50 times a day - I don't need any encouragement in that department :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jahooni said...

i was thinking the same as Doc. I always had that or warm milk while being preggers.
Reading always helps me relax too.
Sweet dreams (hopefully!)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Mojonah said...

When my hormones were out of whack at one point, I was having night terrors, and would wake up SCREAMING loud enough that it would wake the kids, and hubby would have to wake me up! No fun! My guess is that it's all those raging hormones! I hope this passes quickly for you!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home