Monday, September 24, 2007

The Latch-Hook Kid

Before you can appreciate the post below, you must understand my relationship with my cousin Krista, whom I'm written about before. John thinks she looks like Hannah Montana - most people tell us that we look like each other. But...I don't look like Hannah Montana -so, um, I'm not sure what that says about who we look like...

Any
ways, Krista is four years younger than me and one of my most favourite people in the world. When my aunt was pregnant with her, she was diagnosed with Lupus - making for a very difficult pregnancy (they actually wanted my aunt to have an abortion) and years and years of sickness after. Essentially Krista was with my family a lot - she became almost like a little sister to me. Of course, she was also an incredible pain in my ass - always getting me and her older brother Kevin into trouble when we wouldn't let her play with us.


But as we've both gotten older we've taken a real liking to each other. Of course, we're cousins so obviously we love each other and get together at family events, but she's a blast to hang out with and has turned out to be...a lot like me. That may seem scary to some, but what it really means is that we are very loud, very obnoxious, and very happy when we're together.


Now one other thing you must know is that we constantly call each other "my favourite cousin" and sign emails and stuff "Love, your most beautiful, bootylicious, sexy, intelligent, God's gift cousin, Alison" and junk like that.

Several years ago when we were both "home" in Ontario, our moms were going to a Tea and Bake Sale at my old elementary school. Krista and I met them there to check it out, but she had to leave early to get somewhere. She gave her younger cousin Katelyn some money, told her to buy some Penny Table tickets, and put tickets on anything she thought Krista would like. Please know that Katelyn was about 7 at the time - so what was nice to her wasn't necessarily nice to anyone else over the age of 10...he,he.

Long story short (well, short
er) Katelyn put tickets in on this hideous latch-hook rug, still in the packaging, and straight out of the 70's. When we presented it to her that night she was quite annoyed to have won it, I of course, thought it was hilarious and laughed all night about it.

Fast forward to that Christmas when I opened at gift from her and found the damned rug, still in the box, while she laughed and laughed at how smart she was.

Since then we've passed it back and forth several times for numerous occasions. She gave it back to me last Christmas and it's been sitting in my room at my parent's house since then.
This past weekend when I was home I dragged out the box and asked my mom to teach me how to do it. And so, I've begun working on the stupid rug, and am going to bust my ass to have it done for her before Christmas, so that I can have the last laugh.


The only thing is...I've done about 7 rows of the latch-hooking in about 3.5 hours - my guess at the moment is that there are about 120 rows or so - that means for a lot of work for a rug that started out as a joke that I'm going to just give away.


But oh well, she's worth it - and the look on her face when she sees that I've actually made the stupid thing will bring me such happiness (and lots and lots of laughter) that it's totally worth it. Plus...nerdy as this may make me sound...I kind of like doing it. It's oddly therapeutic.


Oh, just as an aside here - when she graduated from college earlier this year, she had an 11x13 picture of herself made into a
puzzle for me. That's the kind of crap we do to each other.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

You 2 sound so cool!

Yes, I still think she looks like Hannah Montana, but I think I have only seen 1 picture of her.

Those rugs are very theraputic, but do take hours and hours and hours to do. Get working!

3:45 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

mmm rug

6:52 AM  
Blogger krista said...

I've made those rugs before. I actually have one on my couch right now that's been made into a pillow (it's a wolf) and another one downstairs (it used to be on the couch too) that is tigger. Alyssa made them for Ricky and I one year. So we were very proud to get them. I not sure what other people think, but as you may have noticed that's not high on my list of worries!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

hahahahahaha rug.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Logzie said...

Oh my gosh...I used to make those silly rugs when I was growing up too! HA!!!

Yes, they are weirdly therapudic, I agree.

I think it would be so stinkin funny to have her open that at Christmas and then maybe she'll have it made into a pillow and give it back to you next Christmas...HA!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What are you, 80?

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home