Monday, August 06, 2007

Country Girl verses City Girl

I was raised in a very, very small town. Minuscule to be exact.
The "country" was about two minutes from my house and I was raised as any good country girl should be - to make my own fun, know the meaning of hard work, be able to kick some ass if I had to, and generally fall into the category of "what you see is what you get".

When I was 18 I moved out of my parent's house and 20 hours away to a city. Two seconds after my parents left me at the college gate I became a city girl, or at least more of a city girl. Not that I hadn't had tastes of the city before then - I wasn't a bumpkin by anyone's standards - but it wasn't long before I dressed a little better, took more time to do my hair, wore more makeup, cared about what people thought and became just a little more "mysterious".

As I've moved from city to city in the last nine years, it is inevitable that during some random conversation it will come up that I am from a small town, or "the country" as any city slicker would call it. Depending on the crowd, some people will wrinkle their nose at this like "Ew, what is a country girl doing in our posh city?" or "Awesome, do you know how to hunt/fish/ride dirt bikes/party in a field?" etc.

Well, the answer to nearly all of those questions is yes.

I do know how to fish, I have owned and ridden dirt bikes since I was 12 years old, I don't hunt - but I do know how to shoot a gun, I've partied in fields, gravel pits, the back 40, you name it, I know every cop by their first name because I babysat their kids, I can name and use almost any tool in your workshop, I can water ski (though poorly), I swim in rivers and lakes, I have been face to face with a bear, I am awesome at climbing trees and hay bales, I ride horses, I pump gas, I can check your oil, I know how to use the 4x4 on a truck because I've needed it many times, etc. I'm actually proud of all those things - plus the hundreds of others that I can't think of right now.

Plus, most people have this preconceived notion that country girls are hot. Case and point, any guy friend who has looked through the pictures of me and my girlfriends from back home has always had the reaction of "Damn, they know how to grow 'em in the country."
Well, come on, what smart girl is going to argue with that?

But, not to lessen the awesomeness of a city girl - I am now more cultured, I know more music than the local country station, I dress much better than I used to, I eat at better places, I can get anything I need in about 15 minutes - no driving an hour to the closest Walmart or Canadian Tire, I sometimes enjoy being a "damsel in distress" though I know damn well that I can take care of whatever I need, and I wouldn't have the fantastic job I do now living in the country. Oh, and there are some very fine looking ladies in the city too!

At work the other day there was a discussion about whether I qualify as a country girl or city girl. Zig summed it up with one question - "if there was a shotgun and a rifle leaning against the wall and your dad said to bring him the shotgun, would you know which one he meant?"

Um, yes.

"Then you're a country girl," he said.

He's right. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

5 Comments:

Blogger mr zig said...

ewww - I have to work with a COUNTRY girl? ewww! hehehe - Just kidding! :) I think it's cool, but I still like bugging you about it :)

5:34 AM  
Blogger krista said...

Climbing hay bales! Me too! My sister and I LOVED that! As soon as I read that the smells all came rushing back! They need a name for city/country girls. Because I also consider myself both.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Where are the pics of all these country girls in the past? :D

10:33 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I was a city boy and I am now a country man. I too have stared face to face with a black bear. I do hay every day with the nags. I still hate country music.

Good point knowing the difference between a rifle and shotgun.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I'm 100% city girl, and working in Steinbach I feel even more so (most kids there are country) -

I'm jealous of your country girl experiences...

If Zig had a rifle and shotgun leaning up against the wall, and told me to bring him the shotgun, I think I would be able to by now, but only because he owns both kinds and has shown them to me... I think I could tell them apart due only to size... isn't a shotgun more substantial looking then a rifle? (but if asked to bring one or the other, I would probably ask for clarification, like: the brown gun or the black one?)

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home