Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yuck!

All this week I've been feeling not so hot.
Remember when I was trying to put my finger on it? I wasn't feeling sick necessarily - but just off? Very scattered and unfocused, tired, and then yesterday I woke up with a headache and it refused to go away all day. I've also been falling asleep every evening on the couch (which I never, ever do) and been in bed early every night - very odd.
This morning I woke up at 8:30. The second my eyes opened I knew that this was not going to be a fun day. My head was pounding, I was sweating and I generally just felt like ass.

I took my temperature before I got out of bed (have to do it every morning for the fertility stuff) and saw that yes, I do indeed have a fever - not seriously high, but just enough that my sickness suspicions were confirmed. So I dragged myself out of bed, pulled on my fleece jammies and then dumped myself onto the couch. Half an hour later I woke up...and what did my eyes fall upon? The 7-8 hour pile of overtime I brought home to do this weekend.

Groan.

I went over to the pile and started sorting through the different magazines worth of work, putting them into the correct piles. I decided that if I started working on one mag and really got into it, then I might forget how crappy I was feeling. Ha! I managed to sort the ads, spread my papers all out, pull out my red pen and stickies and then I thought - Dumbass! Why are you making yourself do this if you feel so crappy?
This is work I brought home to try to make next week less chaotic, but I don't have to do it. Plus, maybe I'll feel better tomorrow, or even later today.

So I left everything where it was on the floor, got up and got a bottle of water and an orange, sat back down on the couch and stared at the pile of work in front of me while I peeled my orange. For about 10 minutes I argued with myself about it - that I should just quit being a baby and do the work already, the designers are going to be waiting for this stuff on Monday...but then the tiny part of me that is rational is yelling "No, how good of a job are you going to do anyways if you're sick? Let yourself relax for god's sake!"

This internal fight was raging when my phone rang. It was the husband. This is how the convo went:
Husband: Hi baby, how are you feeling?
Ali: Like ass, I don't feel good at all...
Husband: Well what's wrong?
Ali: I don't know...my head hurts and I'm freezing and I can't really tell you - I just don't know
Husband: Did you take something for your head?
Ali: Uh....no....
Husband: Well go take some Advil - and try to eat something
Ali: I just had an orange
Husband: And drink lots of water
Ali: I am
Husband: And don't do any work, just relax and try to feel better, and call me if you need me
Ali: Okay
Husband: I love you baby
Ali: Love you too

And that's when I realized that he was right - of course I shouldn't be trying to work! Sometimes I am just so stunned...even if I forced myself to work I would have to re-do half of it anyways because I wouldn't be concentrating properly - but why is it that it takes someone else telling me that to actually get it?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So I left everything right where it was, turned on the tv, decided there was nothing good on, and put The Incredibles in the dvd player. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly what I am going to force myself to do for the rest of the day. Lay on the couch and watch cartoons, drink lots of water, read blogs and chat with anyone that decides to call me...be it the Progressive Conservative party or my best friend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Sorry you feel like ass....that is so funny..... not that you feel bad, but the ass part.

Your husband is right, rest and keep the fever down.

I felt like butt this morning. The pollen is starting up here and I am getting congested.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Princess of the Universe said...

Good for you for taking some time for yourself!
Get better!

5:45 PM  
Blogger mr zig said...

Hey, I keep telling you... don't work on the weekend!!! it makes you a total nerd! - (plus we "Designers" can wait if the stuff isn't ready) - (also, I took a close look at the picture on your blog and that red pen looks very much like the one that is missing from my desk!!!!) - Anyway, sorry you had a crappy day - but i'm happy you spent time watching cartoons -

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home