Thursday, March 01, 2007

Editor - That's Me!

I love my job.

I don't know if a lot of people can say that and honestly mean it - but it's true, I love my job.

I worked really hard for a long time to get the job I have right now, and I hope I'm there for a very long time.

I've always enjoyed going to work, because I am in love with the human race as a whole. People are what make life interesting and without them, even the annoying, bitchy, depressing ones, my life would not be as complete.

Even when I was a secretary I loved going to work. I slowly won over each of the patients that would come into the office (and weren't sure about me because I was so talkative and peppy), so that eventually the doctor would have to skip over some of them because we were engrossed in conversation.

When I was a nanny I loved going to work because I had these two beautiful little boys to look after. I could teach them new things everyday and show them what an amazing place the world can be. It's an awesome feeling to be able to help shape a little mind - and to have them run to you for answers about things they want to know about.

When I was a reporter I loved going to work every day because no day was ever repeated. Each day I would have a new assignment, I would go into work whenever I had work to do - go out at night to do interviews, sit up in my pj's when I was really on a roll with writing a particular piece. I got to do my own photography and meet amazing people everyday - and learn about their lives. It's a wonderful feeling to start an interview very professional, and then end up spending an extra hour or two with someone because they've decided to open up to you.

I've had other jobs that were all great in their own ways too - but so far none has compared to my job as an editor. I've never had a job where I woke up every morning and was excited to go to work. More and more often I stay late when I can, partly because there is always work to do, and partly because I just love to be there. Zig has written about how much he loves our office in the morning when no one else is around. I love it for the same reasons at night, I'm often the last person left - and that last hour or so that I'm alone is wonderful. I take the time to clean up my desk, make a list of to-do's for the next day, finish up any projects that are hanging around, and basically just enjoy the quiet.

But what I love most about the job is during the day, when we are all there, and there are all kinds of music playing, and laughter, and yelling back and forth, and the printer going constantly, and phones ringing off the hook, and urgent deadlines having to be met. It's this wonderful blend of chaos that I am so happy to be a part of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home