Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mornings and a Ruined Flow

Mornings are one of those times when I like to be organized. I find that being a Gemini seems to keep most of my life pretty hectic, so I've found that I've always enjoyed having a little time every morning all to myself, to get ready for the day.

When it was just the husband and I, that was easy. On days when he worked he would be out of the house by 6:40am, then I would get up and go about my morning routine. When he didn't have a shift that day, he would stay in bed and completely out of my way.

Once Ellery came along things changed, but since I didn't have to work it wasn't too tough. My routine just got shifted to a later time slot, usually when she was having a morning nap.

Now one thing about this morning routine is that if it gets interrupted, or time shifted at all, I'm thrown off. I hate that feeling. I'm not entirely obsessive compulsive, and it's not like I have a breakdown or anything, but I feel disheveled when it happens.

My mornings have been thought out and strategically organized: I get up at 5:30 every morning and go for a run. I'm usually home just after 6, then I hop in the shower and throw on some makeup. Next I make my way to the kitchen and turn on the coffee pot, then blow dry my hair, plug in my straightener, grab some cereal and go sit in the living room and eat in blissful silence. Then I head back to the kitchen, pour a cup of coffee, get dressed, straighten my hair, brush my teeth, grab my lunch and a coffee to go, and head out to my car.

The other thing is, I always have my lunch ready and in a bag in the fridge, the coffee is set to go and just needs to be turned on, I try to have my clothes more or less laid out, and I have everything otherwise - ipod, phone, flashdrive, keys, sunglasses etc. - all ready in my purse. For me anyways, I find it best to be organized since it's so easy for me to lose my train of thought.

On days when I have to take Ellery to daycare, the way we do things changes a little to make time for waking her up, feeding her a bottle, getting her dressed, feeding her breakfast, getting her outside clothes on, and having a few minutes of play time, but still it's pretty organized.

So when something happens like my husband strolling into the washroom just when I'm about to take a shower, or Ellery waking up early, or having a poopy diaper when I'm supposed to be straightening my hair, it throws me off.

For years now I've been telling Chris that he throws off my flow. And that's exactly what he does, he disrupts my routine and throws everything into upheaval. Okay, so it's not that bad, but it does throw me off, and actually makes me a bit cranky. I'm forever yelling "You're ruining my flow!"

You'd think by now he would know just to stay the hell out of my way in the mornings, wouldn't you? Hehe.



*Hmm, reading this over, I sound a little neurotic - but quite honestly, it's the only part of my life where I'm a little organized.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

"You're ruining my flow!" That is hilarious! I seem to have a similar effect on Mrs RC, but she hasn't got a good phrase for it - she just calls me a "distraction". Hey, I can't help it! ;-)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

I get ya Ali...my DH does the same thing. I hate when he is home and it's school day everything just goes to crap...
I just tell him to stay in bed till we are gone LOL...

4:34 AM  
Blogger terri said...

I can sympathize. I'm not nearly as organized as you - can't seem to get that lunch made or clothes ready the night before - but other than that, there's a rhyme and a reason to my morning routine. Having a husband who works varying shifts, I know how easily the morning routine can be thrown off. I prefer when he's either still at work or still sleeping during my morning routine. And a good routine completely factors into the status of my mood the rest of the day!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I hate it when I dash to the shower and Gigi is sitting on the pot. (see previous post) I leave and it throws me behind.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sometimes I can't help it...my bladder is going to explode, and just when I go for the bathroom door,you appear, as if out of thin air. To be honest, it kind of ruins my flow.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Chris - Hilarious!

10:51 AM  
Blogger James said...

Ali I am amazed that with a one year old that you can manage to slip out for a morning run. All of our ankle biters used to wake up very early and that would be it.
Secondly I am impressed you have the ENERGY to go out for a morning run. You are an example to us all.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I found a cure...I got a divorce 10 years ago, and all my kids have grown. Now ALL my mornings are mine, all mine-- It's Wonderful! Absolutly Wonderful!
BUT, when I was married, I just told him to "Get the Bleep out of my Bleeping way!" I've never been a morning person and an irritated non-morning person can be worse than a cornered badger! LOL

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home