Monday, June 01, 2009

That Stink!

I have a peeve about public restrooms that goes well beyond my issues with people leaving enough pubes on the toilet seat to knit a sweater.
My issue is the stink.
You know the one I'm talking about - where you walk in and are assailed with a stench so foul that your eyes tear and you start to gag?
Yeah, you guys know. I hate walking in on that.
First off, it's just gross. I mean, everybody poops, but what exactly are you eating that it smells like rotting cauliflower and battery acid mixed with roadkill on a hot summer day?
Second, it's awkward if you happen to be walking in just as the culprit is walking out of their stall. What are you supposed to do? Fake a smile while you're wiping the tears off your cheeks and pretend it wasn't them?
Thirdly, once the person leaves and you're left in the bathroom, you're just a sitting duck for the next person that walks in. You know damn well that once they come in, see you standing at the sink washing your hands, then take a whiff, they're going to immediately think you're the one who stunk up the joint.

You just can't win.

9 Comments:

Blogger Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Stink is while crapping is unavoidable and I share your disgust. My stink doesn’t offend me as much as other people’s stink.

Public restrooms need better upward ventilation. The foul offending odor needs to be removed better in public restrooms.

We have a code word in here that if I go to the bathroom and foul it up I tell the guys that “Someone killed a hog in the bathroom”, and they avoid the place for a while. They do the same for me.

When I was a kid most adults smoked. They smoked too in the bathroom. Nothing was worse than the smell of cigarettes, crap, cologne, and mouthwash all enhanced by heavy humid air. .

8:42 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

I am one of those people. I have heard people enter, gag and leave very quickly!

The ones I don't like are the people who leave something the size of a salami stuck in the bottom of the pan...

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Becky said...

I just about died reading this! Its so true. What I also hate is when the person next to you rips one so loud and you try not to laugh. Yet as you're washing your hands you accidentally make eye contact....it never fails. Once that happens, I immediately get the giggles!

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

4:53 PM  
Blogger James said...

Yeah that's bad but much much worse is when someone comes in the next cubucle and you cannot help but hear the whole process of their dump from the first liquid fart and spatter to the final splash. It sounds like their whole intestine has fallen out for God's sake.
Men usually add grunting noises too .
sorry I am lowering the tone now, I know it I'm going.

6:58 PM  
Blogger terri said...

When I walk in and smell that stench, I just turn around and walk back out. I'll hold it, wait til later, visit the restroom on another floor, but I won't hang around and try to tough it out.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Pubes are the worst thing to sit on....if they're not your own.

Washroom stalls should have dryer sheets in them to hold over your nose while you sit on the toilet.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

im with terri.. i just walk out.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Hah! I had forgotten about what James describes!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Hi! I'm a new follower that happened along by piggybacking from CRC's page. I love your view of the word, it is SO much like my own.
Now, the regularly scheduled comment:
I'm SO glad I work with just one other person, and he lives right around the corner from the shop... if he needs to do a stinky, he goes home. YEA!!
I, too, hate the smell of Public restrooms and try to avoid them as much as possible. I think the cloying "freshener" smell just makes the human smell even worse. *shudder*

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home