Thursday, September 11, 2008

More Excuses and Some Musical Whatnot

So yeah. Apparently though there seems to be no end to my stamina for assembling furniture, re-arranging every room in my home, doing laundry, shopping, and playing with the PVR now that I know how it works - and as a side note, let me get all male brain and say: Holy shit! The pvr friggin' rocks and now I know why all the boys make such a hooplah about junk like that - but when it comes to me taking care of some blogging business and getting my trip photos uploaded, I'm pretty much as lame as a horse with 4 bum legs.

So though I know you're all waiting with bated breath to see how we rocked out in Calgary, sadly you'll have to wait. Now let's all quit crying about it and move on...

I have some random music related thoughts bouncing around in my head, and since none of them are really solid enough to make a whole post about them, I'll just put them here in one big mess.

1. One of my most favourite songs ever is Proud Mary, by Ike and Tina Turner. The only thing is, I love the very beginning when it's just Tina's voice crooning away about leavin' her good job in the city, workin' for the man every night and day, but I can't stand the rest of the song. So I listen to the first 40 seconds of the song, then once the tempo picks up, I skip it - how dumb is that?

2. What I really love about music is finding some off-the-wall band or singer that only 13 other people in the world have ever heard of, and listening to them in bliss, while the rest of the world continues to listen to the Top 40. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for really lame pop music too, but there is so much more out there!
Anyways, what is really silly is that I hate when someone I have been listening to for a while suddenly gets heard by a few more people, then a few more people, and before you know it, one of their tracks is being played every 5 minutes on the radio or tv. Then the whole world knows about them - pretty soon their is a dance remix of the song - and everyone is so in love with them.
I absolutely hate that.
It's not that I don't want the artist to be successful, but I just don't want everyone and their dog to be listening to them too, because suddenly the music that I loved so much becomes like nails on a chalkboard, screechy and never-ending.
Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

3. To go with the above - if any of you haven't heard of Duffy yet, she's amazing, and of course, now the whole world is starting to realize it. I recently heard one of her tracks on a movie trailer! Sob. But check her out here anyways - she rocks.

4. James had asked me about Ramona and whatever happened to her. Well, we had a little break...that was actually more like a big break, but we're back in love with each other again. I'm not taking lessons anymore, but in the past couple months I've been playing around with her for Ellery, who squeals in delight every time I play. We're making up for lost time now, and I love it.

5. Has anyone heard the new AC/DC song? I love them, but they are sounding oooooooold. I mean, they were old before but now it's almost painful to listen to.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rock Chef said...

My wife is like that with music - she pics up really odd groups and singers that suddenly become huge - My Chemical Romance, Duffy, Coldplay...

Duffy is great, of course!

Don't think I have heard a new AC/DC song, but I can imagine the look pretty ancient. There is a band out called Airborne who sound exactly like early AC/DC - even the guitar solos are pure Angus! They are fun.

Good to hear you are playing Ramona again.

5:05 AM  
Blogger terri said...

I really like Maia Sharp. I don't think many people know of her. She opened for Bonnie Raitt when we saw her a couple years ago. Apparently she's more of a songwriter than a singer. I found some of her CDs online though and bought them. Apparently she's also a lesbian. I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Slyde said...

ok, this male is lost...

what the heck is a PVR?

i know what a DVR is... is that what you mean?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Bowering said...

You have to go to you tube and search

Jim Breuer: Hardcore (AC/DC)


My sister sent it to me, he's pretty funny.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Rock Chef - Your wife and I sound eerily similar :) and I will definitely check out Airborne!

Terri - I'm going to check out Maia too, yay for lesbians! lol

Slyde - It's the same thing, it just stands for Personal Video Recorder, I guess the company was just trying to be different.

Bowering - Will do :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sitting In Silence said...

I'v heard the song and seen them sing it....yep...hard rocking sure makes ya age quick..

Still I love AC/DC after a couple of reds..LOL...Alllllllllll nighttttttttt longggggggggg !!!

Love it ! x

8:06 PM  
Blogger Rock Chef said...

Ali - Well, yes, the more I get to know you the more like Clare you become!

8:08 AM  
Blogger James said...

I like Feist and also Zooey Deschanel (as a singer)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home